We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VAIL with 2 kids

Jupiter, FL
1 post
Save Topic
VAIL with 2 kids

Hi!

We are headed to Vail Jan 14-Jan 18. My boys are 8 and 4. Is there a small place we can go and ski very lightly without all the lessons? My boys surf and can hydroslide behind a boat so I know they can catch on. I just want them to play. Anyone have any advice?

thanks!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: VAIL with 2 kids

Of course, lessons are not required but I'd highly recommended it having put kids on the hill myself. Putting a 4 yr old on a hill where he's got to negotiate a lift chair and fall down multiple times is a recipe for their never wanting to it again. Regardless of what athletic experience they already have skiing requires some learned technical skills that will only come from lessons. Buy the lift tix with the lessons and you'll save $$.

The flatest terrain for beginners is over at Golden Peak. They have a short lift there.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,967 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VAIL with 2 kids

I'll second that advice. The money you invest in at least a day of group lessons will be well spent. Also, you're going to shell out for lift tickets for yourself and spend $80/day just hanging in the kids area.

For sure Golden Peak is the place to go, though.

Have fun, lots of snow this year.

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VAIL with 2 kids

No place to "just play" on skis, as you state. If you check out the childrens ski area on Beaver Creek mountain, it has a kids gondola which takes them to the top of the learning area, a gently sloping "bunny hill" where they can feel comfortable learning on their own without having to go down the "big stuff" Then they can graduate to the upper beginner part of the mountain. Beaver Creek has a huge beginner area UP on TOP to enjoy the views & good snow. From there they can DOWNLOAD (take the chairlift DOWN) to the base area.

Kids lessons are not cheap, but I do agree with previous posts. They are worth it. Learning to ski can be frustrating. You want them to have a good time & good memories. Our kids ski school is award winning and the kids will be with other KIDS. More fun.

check out both Vail & Beaver Creek links on www.snow.com.

4. Re: VAIL with 2 kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 14:19