We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vail in the Summer

houston, texas
6 posts
Save Topic
Vail in the Summer

I'm thinking of going to Vail and was wondering whether it's as nice of a place as it's been described to me? I know that it's perfect for skiing, but are there fun activities to do for the summer? And is it picturesque at this time of the year? I would also appreciate some suggestions on the best river for rafting, since I'm an outdoors sort of person!

Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vail in the Summer

I'm bumping this post because I'm interested in any answers, also considering Vail as a place to stay for next summer vacation.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,856 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vail in the Summer

Vail is a wonderful place to be in the summer! There's plenty to do to keep you as busy as you want to be: hiking, biking, fishing, horseback riding, golf, ziplines. Here's a guide for summer activities in the Vail area: http://web.vail.net/local/summer.cfm

There are lots of dining options; many very good to great restaurants. Picturesque? You may want to Google Vail images to see some of the spectacular beauty of the area.

houston, texas
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vail in the Summer

Thanks for the reply. The places does seem very nice, but I just wasn't sure if there was a lot to do in the summer since most of the reviews I read talked about Vail's winter activities.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,568 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vail in the Summer

Vail also offers some great cultural activities. Great dance performances - http://www.vaildance.org/ is a link to what is happening this summer. The July 4th fireworks over the Avon lake is great, too.

houston, texas
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vail in the Summer

That seems fun. Thanks!

Pagosa Springs...
Destination Expert
for Durango, Pagosa Springs
Level Contributor
414 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vail in the Summer

Anywhere in the Colorado mountains are wonderful in the summer! I really can't make up my mind on my favorite season...Every season opens up new activities.

There are quite a few great rivers to raft - but the best rapids occur during snow melt-off - typically May and June. We float them when the rapids die down.

Sections of the Arkansas remain good throughout the season - check Buena Vista area.

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
892 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vail in the Summer

Vail is a wonderful place in the summer; there is a saying amongst locals - "come for the winter, stay for the summer". Lots of activities ranging from hiking to mountain biking to fly fishing to horseback riding. Or take a scenic drive on some of the scenic byways in the area. Ride the gondola to the top of the mountain and play frisbee golf. And as mentioned there are plenty of cultural activities, concerts, festivals and a great farmers market every week.

There is actually much MORE to do in the summer compared to the winter. All this plus no humidity and hotel rates at a fraction of the winter cost.

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vail in the Summer

We are returning to Vail/Avon again this summer because it is the best day hiking anywhere in the US. The wildflowers are outstanding and I have a house full of blown-up pictures and matted and framed of streams, trees, bees, butterflies, and flowers. First place I ever saw a columbine !!

Walk around Nottingham Lake, ride the rapids, kayak, fish, bike ride, shop, etc. Festivals run all summer!

I am from N. O. and I can't wait to get back to Vail!!!

Can't get lost!!! Even have a Wal-Mart to get your pictures printed while you are there. Super friendly natives!!!

9. Re: Vail in the Summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Vail