We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
nyc
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
best way to get from Vail to Aspen

Hi we're going to Vail for a week at the end of February and wanted to go to Aspen to check out the town on a day off from skiing. We were not going to rent a car since we're flying into Eagle. What would be the least expensive and or best way to get there and back?..taxi? train? shuttle? or could we rent a car for the day in Vail? Thanks for your help!!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
84 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best way to get from Vail to Aspen

Hello! I am sure your aware that Aspen is several hours drive from Vail. That being said, (and thats in good conditions.) If your planning on wanting to really see the town and area of Aspen, I would recommend you go ahead and set up a rental auto. I am not sure of availability in Vail, but think you may find better rates at the airport in Eagle. Reserve it for your planned adventure when you arrive. Colorado Mountain Express, van service may have a rate for you for drop off and return, but check with them on schedules. The downside to any shuttle service is meeting their schedule when you may find a great cozy bar to hang out and have to cut your stay short so you dont miss the van.

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best way to get from Vail to Aspen

Your only practical option is a rented car. Unless you do back to back shuttles which would mean you'd be spending the day waiting for shuttles! Or you can spend a fortune for a cab. Plan on this being an expensive "side trip" any way you plan it. Sorry.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best way to get from Vail to Aspen

Similar to what the others said - not worth it IMO. However you can take the Greyhound bus to Glenwood Springs, and then the local bus from there to Aspen. This will be one long and full day. If you do it - maybe spend the night in Aspen.

If you want to see a quaint Colorado mountain ski town - I suggest you come over to Breckenridge instead. It is closer, you can use your Vail pass to ski at Breck, and it has a lovely main street with unique boutiques and historic buildings. We have famous people here too, however just like in Aspen, it is highly unlikely you would cross paths with any. ;o)

Edited: 05 January 2010, 17:57
nyc
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best way to get from Vail to Aspen

Thanks for all the info!! I guess we're going to have to decide if its really even worth it... but if we do decide to go.. is there a car rental place in vail village, or accessible by the vail shuttles, so that we don't have to go back to the airport for this? Thanks again!!

5. Re: best way to get from Vail to Aspen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2010, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Vail