We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Super Bowl weekend in Vail

Which Vail hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Super Bowl weekend in Vail

Hi,

I'm heading to Vail Super Bowl weekend with a group of friends. I was just curious if it is busy on the slopes. Also, how crowded are the bars/restaurants to watch the game? Or would it be better off to watch it in our condo?

I was thinking of going to The George to watch the game, due to their great happy hour.

Thanks for any advice.

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
892 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Super Bowl weekend in Vail

It won't be as crowded as a typical weekend day - many people within Colorado will not ski that day in order to watch the game. The bars will probably be pretty crowded - get there early to get a prime seat and you'll have a blast. No need to stay at the condo! The George is a good option, Tap Room, Red Lion, Sandbar are others

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Super Bowl weekend in Vail

Although if we receive lots of snow leading right up to Super Bowl Sunday...trust me it will be packed as we are desperate for snow...I mean desperate and the excitement to ski what Vail is known for will hit :-) and then apres will start at kick-off 2:30...

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,011 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Super Bowl weekend in Vail

Not speaking specifically to Vail, but from my experience skiing on Superbowl Sunday is no different than any other Sunday. Years ago I was naive enough to think that everyone would be home having parties and I'd have the slopes all to myself - LOL! (The game isn't until evening anyway, right?)

If there is good snow, there will be plenty of people skiing.

phila
Level Contributor
277 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Super Bowl weekend in Vail

I actually had this discussion a week ago on the lifts. I live out east, and the skiing back east is MUCH slower on Super Bowl Sunday.

The locals I rode with all laughed at this idea and said that most folks there are much more college-football fans than pro football fans, so they don't notice a huge difference.

I have heard from many folks that the best time to go is the weekend after or the weekend before a big holiday weekend. It certainly worked for us this year - we skiied from Jan 7-10. Friday and Sunday were very quiet, and even Saturday was, we were told, not as busy as New Years or the huge anticipated crowd anticipated for MLK weekend.

I'd be curious if any of the destination experts can confirm these stories.

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Super Bowl weekend in Vail

if vail gets good snow (most mtns for that matter) doesn't matter what weekend ... it will be packed ... since the main pass purchased by those living in the eastern part of the state (front range) only has 10 days at vail/bc and limitless at many others they will drive up last minute or spend the weekend no matter what weekend and battle traffic to get up here (or breck keystone copper) from the front range...it is bumper to bumper for up to 60 miles taking 4 hours to make a 1 1/2 drive ... relatively speaking colorado skiers/riders are die hard ... we've had weekday crowds that fill up parking by 9a - 10a just because of a powder day ... either way u will have fun!! many businesses in vail even have the 10 or 12 or 16 inch rule where it's an automatic day off because it's a powder day!!! enjoy and pray we get snow because if we don't u won't want to ski ... we have east coast conditions right now so locals/colorado avoiding the hill for he most part ...

6. Re: Super Bowl weekend in Vail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2010, 05:17