We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brand new skiers headed to Vail

Which Vail hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
1 post
Save Topic
Brand new skiers headed to Vail

My husband and I are going to Vail next week for the first time and neither of us have EVER beein skiing so we are clueless. We are staying at the Marriott Resort and Spa in Vail. We are styaying with friends in Boulder before we get to Vail so we will get to Vail around Noon on Sunday.

Here are just some of our questions...

-Any suggestions for 1/2 day lessons for beginners?

-Do you think we need to have lessons everyday or just the first day, we are pretty athletic people?

-Should we wait to buy our lift tickets before we go or buy them before? We are there 2 1/2 days, in general do most people ski everyday?

-Do most people rent helmets?

Any help/tips/suggestions would be much appreciated!!!!! Thanks.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
1,031 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brand new skiers headed to Vail

2 1/2 days is not a long trip. It can take years of lessons to master skiing. I would probably take private lessons and get the most for your money. You will enjoy skiing more when you get beyond the beginner stage, so take lessons at least for 2 days. Definitely wear a helmut it can save you from a head injury. If you can save money buy your lift tickets ahead, otherwise just wait and buy them when you need them.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Brand new skiers headed to Vail

Lesson specials start at 3 days so you'll pay quite a bit more for just 2 but you need to do at least 1 day to learn how to get up when you fall. And rent skis 8-10 cm shorter than what they want to give you. You'll have more fun.

vail.com/ski-and-snowboard-school/school-dea…

BTW Your only break on lift tix is if you buy a 3 day multi-day.

Denver
Level Contributor
124 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brand new skiers headed to Vail

Many resorts, though I don't know about Vail, have pretty good lesson-ticket packages for "never-evers" - people like you who have never skiied before. Check on this possibility before you buy ski tickets separately. I would say to take two days of lessons, as well. You will enjoy the mountain a lot more if you do.

You can go a half-day lesson, but the half-day lesson cost is almost the same as the cost for a full-day lesson.

I don't know if most people rent helmets, but it s a VERY GOOD idea to do so. I don't know the percentage, but if you see people wearing helmets, they're more likely to be locals, and that should tell you something.

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brand new skiers headed to Vail

Yes yes yes to taking lessons> Worth EVERY PENNY! This is a very intimidating sport on an even more intimidating mountain> Our instructors are such pros at making sure you are learning correctly, having fun and not being scared. My sister visted a few years ago, She took 1 day of lessons then her hubby thought she knew enough to go out on thier own on day two... it scared her SO MUCH she has never skied since! Try to make yourlesson reservations ahead of time so that you are not spending part of your vacation waiting in lines. Relax, enjoy, and soak in all the beauty!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Brand new skiers headed to Vail

There are no half day group lessons at Vail only private. For group lessons --beginner it's either 1 or 3 day. Nice deal is it includes lesson, lift tix, and rentals. 1/2 day private will cost you $475 with no lift tix or rentals.

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brand new skiers headed to Vail

By the way...unless we receive some snow....be prepared for what will be rougher and tougher conditions to learn and very atypical of Vail and Colorado....Right now we have East Coast conditions...fast...hard...and slick!! Rare and unfortunate...

phila
Level Contributor
277 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brand new skiers headed to Vail

You should call the mountain, as some of the posts here do not comport with my recent experience (a week ago) there.

1. I know for some levels (not sure about beginners), there are half day lessons BUT I believe they are only about $30 cheaper ( i think around $100 vs. $130) than full day lessons. If you don't like your lesson (happened to my son), you can split at any time, thereby effectively turning a full day lesson into a half day lesson. Also, the half day lessons are just in the pm, so you probably want to start in the am - when only the full day lessons start.

2. There are really good specials for lift tickets and lessons for never-ever skiers, but BE CAREFUL - they may only let you go on very limited lifts. For example, I don't know if that lift ticket is good for the Gondola at lions head, which you should ride at some point. Again, call th ski school and they can tell you.

3. Mostly - be excited! I did most of my ski-learning at Vail, and I have seen a lot of people ski for 3 days and be able to get down the easier blue slopes by the end. You will learn a lot and have a great time. Have fun!

8. Re: Brand new skiers headed to Vail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2010, 05:18