We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fast help needed: Lodging for trip to Vail right after MLK...

Level Contributor
81 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Fast help needed: Lodging for trip to Vail right after MLK...

AmyinVail or other local, our trip to Whistler was recently nixed when Northwest airlines cancelled flights to Vancouver. We scrambled and were able to get flights into Eagle/Vail on Jan 17 for a week. The travel agent is suggesting Westwind, Vail 9 or Willows. My husband is an expert skiier and doesn't want to ski Beaver but my 8 year old needs easy access to ski school. From what I read in tripadvisor forum, sounds like the construction in Lionshead is major. I'd really appreciate some suggestions/recommendations...what do you think about Westwind, Willows, Vail 9? Is the construction noise/inconvience less due to winter? I really appreciate any insight you might have.

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
543 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fast help needed: Lodging for trip to Vail right after MLK...

The construction in Lionshead is fairly significant. The crews continue to work, even this time of year. As a local and a skiier, I actually prefer BC over Vail. Much better groomed trails, newer area, no construction and a nicer village, but that is just my opinion. If I HAD to choose between the 3 choices you've presented, I would stay at the Willows, as you're in the heart of Vail and close to everything. I hope this helps!

Level Contributor
81 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fast help needed: Lodging for trip to Vail right after MLK...

AmyinVail, many thanks for your info. We've reorriented our search to Beaver Creek, and are exploring Kiva. Any suggestions with respect to that property?

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
543 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fast help needed: Lodging for trip to Vail right after MLK...

You won't regret BC. It's my favorite. Kiva is wonderful. Also look into Market Square, which is in the heart of everything. I stayed there when I first moved out here. Such wonderful dining venues in Beaver Creek, too. You can ski into the new Ritz Carlton and enjoy a drink by the bonfire, the list goes on and on. Don't forget to ice skate, too! Want something really romantic? Book Beanos cabin and take a sleigh up to dinner. Heavenly. Good luck!

Bbi
New Haven...
Level Contributor
52 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fast help needed: Lodging for trip to Vail right after MLK...

If you haven't committed to BC yet, I think that your husband will find much better skiing at Vail than at Beaver Creek. In Vail, I'm a big fan of staying near Gold Peak in Vail - lots of lodging near there, great access to slopes (take short lift and short run and you are at the Vista Bahn lift for speedy access to the top) and you are right by the ski school at Gold Peak. (I've stayed all over Vail, and I think Gold Peak is better than Lionshead even when there isn't any construction). For lodging try Manor Vail - big breakfast included, lots of amenities, and steps from Gold Peak school and lifts. It's also a short walk into the center of town. There are other places near Gold Peak that look interesting that I haven't tried. No matter what, you're going to have a great time!

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
543 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fast help needed: Lodging for trip to Vail right after MLK...

I worked at Manor Vail for 3.5 years before I became a Realtor and it is very close to the lift and does come with a free hot breakfast. The downside to Manor Vail is that it's an older property and condos are individually owned, so decor varies greatly and not normally very recent. I disagree about the skiing being much better in Vail, particularly this year when we've rec'd record snowfall this early in the season. The only plus to Vail is the backbowls, other than that, I enjoy BC skiing much more. BC has newer resorts and hotels and the village is all centrally located, in Vail you usually have to jump on a bus. If you must ski the back bowls, you can always take the 10 minute drive over to Vail and do it, then return to your BC resort! JMHO, as I've lived here for 7 years.

Bbi
New Haven...
Level Contributor
52 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fast help needed: Lodging for trip to Vail right after MLK...

I agree with Amyinvail about the decor in Manor Vail - it's clean but often old. I just always put up with it because I value being so close to the lift and the ski school. My only comment about the relative skiing is that I ski at Vail with my 19 year old son, who is perhaps characterized as low expert - at any rate he is either on black diamond, dbl diamonds or off the trail. The back bowls are really important to him. I do have questions about Amyinvail's suggestion that it is only a 10 minute drive from BC to Vail. If you drive your own car, it seems to be there will be a lot of extra time finding a parking space and hauling skis a couple of blocks to the Vista Bahn lift. (Maybe the parking lot is closer to the lift at Lionshead?) If you take a bus from BC to Vail, my recollection is that that could involve significant time waiting for the bus, both ways. Would appreciate Amyinvail elaborating on that, since I might want to try staying elsewhere sometime.

Bbi
New Haven...
Level Contributor
52 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fast help needed: Lodging for trip to Vail right after MLK...

Sorry to use your space, bikelady, but this question is for Amyinvail and is not really related to your question. Amyinvail, is the real estate market softening at all in Vail, and what do you think of buying something in Edwards and commuting to ski in Vail?

bryn mawr
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fast help needed: Lodging for trip to Vail right after MLK...

I also vote for Vail over BC. We have stayed numerous times in Vail Village and Lionshead. We also once stayed in BC and really liked the village, but ended up skiing Vail most days. BC is very nice but there is nothing like Vail. We have three kids and never had problems with access to ski school when staying in any central condo location. We stayed in Lionshead (Montanerous)just last month and, although there's a huge (fenced) gaping hole there, the access to the mountain is unaffected by the construction. The bottom line is if you're going for the skiing-ski Vail. My husband is also an excellent skiier and gets bored in Beaver Creek. You'll have fun at either location this year.The conditions are super.

Level Contributor
81 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fast help needed: Lodging for trip to Vail right after MLK...

First, thanks to all responding to the Vail questions and providing great tips. I agree, Golden does seem like a good option, but perhaps because it is MLK week, I wasn't successful in that area.

Any info on driving into Vail from BC to do day skiing would be great as our plan now is to stay at Kiva, BC, then drive to Vail 3 or 4 times to ski into the back bowls. I heard a suggestion to go to Vail village and park there..since I've got an 8 yr old carring skis, I could really use some ideas on easy parking/access.

Also, any suggestions for lunch on the mountain? Any ideas for diner out? Many thanks.

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
543 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fast help needed: Lodging for trip to Vail right after MLK...

Bpi: The drive is either a private car or a cab and would only be 10 minutes. You can always park at the village in Vail, or the cab can drop you off at "checkpoint charlie" in the village and it's literally 30 yards to the lift, if that. Also, if you're staying at a nicer resort, the concierge will drive you wherever you want to go. I was the HR director at Manor Vail and I drove many people to the supermarket from time to time. It's not hard to get to BC, although you're correct to believe the bus would be timely. Many stops. Easier, faster ways to get there. As for the market, it's not softening in the slightest. The rest of the nation might worry about a bubble burst, but here we have year round draw and the appreciation continues to increase. This year the snow is insane and we've been named #1 again, so the market is on fire. Obviously, Edwards is less expensive (further away, of course) and is close enough to the hills to be considered a ski vacation home. I represent buyers who purchase vacation or 2nd homes as far West as Eagle. The Valley continues to grow and expand. I still hold to BC as better skiing, the trails are more beautiful and as is the scenery. I give Vail thumbs up only for the back bowls, which some might want to experience. There is a lot more parking in BC and it's easier to navigate (more things mountain side) than Vail. The good news is, they're both so close to one another, you don't have to choose! Ski both! As a local, I (and 99% of my friends) ski BC when we go up.