We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family activities in Vail

Which Vail hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Topic
Family activities in Vail

My family and I (10 of us total) are headed to Vail for the week of Thanksgiving. We will be there 5 nights and have rented a cabin about 5 minutes away from Vail. We are Floridians, so this will be a big change from our normal beach and cruise vacations! I know that the weather in Vail during that time is a crapshoot but we are hoping for lots of snow!

Some of us have skied in the past, but none of us regularly since there is no snow in Florida! We will have 3 kids with us, ranging in age from 3-8. I am trying to start planning some activities while we are in Vail and wanted to get suggestions on family friendly activities (tubing, etc).

Are there ski classes for families with kids or will the kids need to go to their own class? I've also looked into ice skating, snow mobiling, and sleigh rides. Other than Thanksgiving night, we really have 5 days with nothing planned yet so I really appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Family activities in Vail

info on ski lessons and other activities can be had at http://www.vail.com/

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family activities in Vail

Not to sound like a Debbie downer, but that time of the year I doubt you will be able to do any tubing, snowmobiling, or sleigh rides - most likely no real snow on the ground, close to town at least; However there could always be a freak storm that dumps. Vail will have just opened on the 19th so probably only a few runs open. Good luck, fingers crossed.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,212 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family activities in Vail

Unfortunately Adventure Ridge is not scheduled to open until mid-December.

You could spend a day in Glenwood Springs for something different (about an hour west of Vail). www.glenwoodcaverns.com/about-the-park.html

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family activities in Vail

...or drive 20 minutes east to Summit County, where there will be snow!!!*

*no guarantee

Colorado
Level Contributor
987 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family activities in Vail

Thanksgiving is always a gamble. There is a chance that Vail will only have one ski run open if they cannot make enough snow due to warm weather. If that is the case you may want to spend the day at one of the other close resorts. True, not many activities happen that time of the year, but it is a beautiful valley and a holiday so enjoy your time with the family.

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family activities in Vail

We are always openfor skiing by Thanksgiving and in the 30+ years I have lived in this Valley, Mother Nature has only let us down a few times> SO we have loads of snowmaking. The whole mountain will not be open but there will be skiing up top. Pray for snow! It's a nice time to be here because there are no crowds yet.

I like the Glenwood option, check out Glenwood Caverns> great mountain "amusement " park (google it) I'd also suggest 4 Eagle Ranch one night for a real Colorado western experience with barn dancing, hay or sleigh rides, etc.

There is a great bowling alley which is brand new in Vail. There is also one in Eagle (about 20 min west of Vail) Go ice skating at either Dobson Ice arena in Vail or at Beaver Creek.

7. Re: Family activities in Vail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2011, 05:16