We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Q&A About BC/Vail Area...

Fort Lauderdale...
8 posts
Save Topic
Q&A About BC/Vail Area...

I am going to be traveling to Beaver Creek/Avon/Vail area (not sure yet) from Dec 9-12th for my birthday. Its going to be me, my girlfriend and 2 other couples all in our mid-20s. I have some questions regarding my trip. I have done research on all the hotels and the Westin Riverfront, Park Hyatt, BC lodge have caught my eye and within my budget. Which is the best lodging in that area that I will be close to everything? I plan on renting a car, seeing that I will be flying into Denver. Also how is the night life, bars, etc? Having done my research, I plan on it snowing during that time. And what else outdoors activities can I do besides skiing. I have heard great things about both villages (BC & Vail). Just trying to make the best decisions right now based on the facts.

alvinut
Level Contributor
266 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Q&A About BC/Vail Area...

The three properties on your list are all in or near Beaver Creek. Vail is about 10 miles down the road.

I think a group your age looking for any kind of nightlife would have more fun in Vail. Beaver Creek is a great mountain, and has a great family oriented village, but Vail has way more restaurants, bars and clubs. If the Park Hyatt in Beaver Creek is in your budget, then you should check out the Lodge at Vail - right in the middle of Vail Village and at the base of the Vista Bahn lift.

The biggest problem with Vail can be the crowds, but you are coming early in the season and before the holiday rush, so you should be ok. However, keep in mind that it is unlikely the entire mountain will be open that early.

PS: a car is definitely NOT needed, or even recommended, if you stay in or near Vail Village.

Fort Lauderdale...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Q&A About BC/Vail Area...

Vail does sound nice...but I am looking for a 4 star hotel preferrably in the village. Any ideas besides the Lodge? I realize Vail has more to offer but isn't it a shuttle away (10 min) from BC? People tell me Vail is better, but the hotels in Avon n BC look way nicer.

alvinut
Level Contributor
266 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Q&A About BC/Vail Area...

The Lodge is 4 star - it's a little older than some of the other options, but I think it's the best location and it has a nice, cozy, ski lodge feel. I think there is a newer wing too that you might be able to request. I'm sure one of the Vail experts can recommend some other nice properties nearby.

There is no "shuttle" that I am aware of between Vail and Beaver Creek - but it's probably 15 to 20 minutes by car from Beaver Creek Village to the Vail parking garage. You might also consider Lionshead part of Vail. It has it's own little village area and is less than a 5 minute bus ride from the main village. The Arrabelle looks extremely nice and is right by the gondola. There is also a new Ritz opening there this winter - looks a little further from the slopes, but i'm sure it will be super luxurious.

Fort Lauderdale...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Q&A About BC/Vail Area...

Thanks for the information. I visited the Lodge website and it does look very nice and in my budget. Can anybody suggest any other hotels in that area that they have stayed and enjoyed?

Greentown...
Level Contributor
244 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Q&A About BC/Vail Area...

Lion Square Lodge was one of the nicest properties I have ever stayed at....and it is ski in/out right next to the gondola in Lionshead.....The Arrabelle is right next door.......if I could afford it The Arrabelle would be it......it is incredible looking from the outside......but way too expensive for my budget......and it is also right next to the gondola in Lionshead.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,623 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Q&A About BC/Vail Area...

I agree with K2 skier. I also sure you won't be disappointed with the Lodge. We always rented a condo.

Colorado
Level Contributor
987 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Q&A About BC/Vail Area...

There is a bus that goes from Vail Village to Avon, where you hop on the shuttle to Beaver Creek. Beaver creek does have great lodging and also several fun bars. I dont think you will be disappointed staying there.

Now with that said, Vail has more action and IMO much better skiing. There are several lodging options for you. Did you check out expedia.com?

As for a car, well I wouldnt bother. Take the CME shuttle from the airport and then use the local busses to get around. They are free (except for to BC) and go frequently.

Fort Lauderdale...
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Q&A About BC/Vail Area...

I researched CME and it doesn't sound like such a good deal and I don't feel like sharing a vehicle with strangers for 2 hours. Any other suggestions on transportation to Vail? Alvinut mentioned Lodge at Vail for lodging but it seemed to me that just over the weekend they switched to a 5 star and uped the price of rooms a couple extra hundred?!?!? I'm pretty sure me and g/f checked it a week ago and it was way cheaper and a 4 star (had it written down). Had my heart set on that but out of my budget now. Any other suggestions on 4 star lodging in Vail, in the village???

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Q&A About BC/Vail Area...

short of renting a car CME is the best deal to get from DEN to Vail.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Q&A About BC/Vail Area...

CME is really a nice way to get up to the resorts, you get to enjoy the scenery and relax. If you are not an experienced winter driver please take CME, I-70 was littered with accidents for the past few days from the road conditions. Don't forget you pay around $20 per day for parking at whatever hotel you choose.

Get answers to your questions about Vail