We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging Question - Stay at Manor Vail or Riva Ridge?

Which Vail hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging Question - Stay at Manor Vail or Riva Ridge?

We have a ski trip (6 guys) coming up for the week of 2/7. I'm trying to find a 2BR (or 3BR) condo for us to stay in.

Criteria:Short (very short) walk to the slopes, walking distance to bars/restaurants (like the Red LIon).

In 2006 I stayed at Manor Vail. I like that is was recently renovated and was all set to stay there for $720/night (2BR) but they charge a $240 resort fee as well as tax. So I looked at other places and found Riva Ridge. There I can stay in a 2BR for $750/night. Bottom line is both are about the same amount of money.

So I'm looking for a tie breaker. Why stay at one place versus the other? Any recommendations for other condos in this price range would also be appreciated. Condos in Golden Peak, Vail Village or Lionshead would all be ok with me.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging Question - Stay at Manor Vail or Riva Ridge?

This is weird - I'm replying to my own original message.............

However, I just priced out two properties in Lionshead (Antlers, Montaneros) and both are in the same range as Riva Ridge and Manor Vail.

So if you don't mind, let me expand my question.....which of these 4 properties do you have an opinion on:

- Manor Vail

- Riva Ridge

- Antlers

-Monaneros

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging Question - Stay at Manor Vail or Riva Ridge?

If you want to be near the Vail nightlife, stay in Vail rather than Lionshead. If you book at Manor Vail, ask for a "Manor House" upfront & then all you have to do is walk across the street to the lifts. Riva, Antlers & Montaneros will be about the same walking distance to a lift. You can also make your choice by what part of the ski mountain you like. If you like skiing off the gondola, then you may wish to choose Lionshead. You can always take the bus (free) over to the Village at night.

Riva has NO amenities (if that is important) but you'll probably get a larger condo than at Manor Vail.

If I could choose amoungst your choices, I'd pick RIVA

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
1,021 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging Question - Stay at Manor Vail or Riva Ridge?

Check your private messages, I sent you a recommendation.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,567 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging Question - Stay at Manor Vail or Riva Ridge?

We stayed at the Antlers and it was a short walk to the gondola. We did take the bus to the village, just a minutes ride.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging Question - Stay at Manor Vail or Riva Ridge?

This is great information and thank you to all that replied. I did contact Antlers and they have provided me info on a 2BR that has many different beds. As you might imagine, where possible, us 6 guys would prefer to have our own bed :)

I would prefer to be in Vail Village as well but kind of like having a place with a hot tub (Riva Ridge doesn't have any amenities as the above post mentioned).All the other condo places in Vail Village are too expensive or too far from the slopes.

Still waiting to hear back from some of the other places I've mentioned above. I'm not to keen on selecting any place that charges a "resort fee". If it was a beach location and I'm spending all day running around their resort that is ok. But it's a ski condo - outside of the hot tub we don't use any other part of the "resort".

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,487 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging Question - Stay at Manor Vail or Riva Ridge?

I understand! I am not a fan of all the extra charges.

Curious if you tried VRBO? I almost always rent direct to avoid all the extra fees. Shoot $240.00 buys a lot of cocktails, even at Vail!!

7. Re: Lodging Question - Stay at Manor Vail or Riva Ridge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2011, 05:17