We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly into Denver or Vail

KY
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fly into Denver or Vail

Am I taking a risk trying to fly into Vail (EGE)? I read that if there is a good snow, flights can get delayed or canceled into Vail. The flights are about the same cost, but the cost to trasit from denver is more plus about 1.5 hrs longer.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly into Denver or Vail

Is it a direct flight or does it have a layover in Vail? What time of year? It's a mountain airport so obviously they are equipped to handle winter conditions; however I do think they are more ap to have cancellations than Denver - but I don't know the actual statistics on closings and canceled flights. If your flight has a layover in Denver - then you can just grab a shuttle and head up if there is a cancellation.

Edited: 15 November 2010, 19:58
KY
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly into Denver or Vail

my flight would be direct into vail. mid january.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly into Denver or Vail

Here is the phone number to the airport 970-328-2680 - try calling and ask if they redirect to Denver (or Grand Junction or ?) when there is bad weather - also the statistics for the month of January. Seems like an airport employee might have a better handle on the answer you are needing. I am sure there are plenty of people on tripadvisor who can give you + or - stories; I think it depends on your luck that day.

Any airport with a heavy snow will close, including Denver. If it is snowing so hard that the plane cannot land in Vail, then you probably are not going to be shuttling that day to Vail either. So I guess you run the risk of a canceled flight or a night in Denver. Personally I would spend that extra few bucks on flight insurance ,or get trip insurance, and fly to Vail. Good Luck!

Greentown...
Level Contributor
244 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly into Denver or Vail

The past few years (January) I have flown into EGE.....I totally recommend it.....the convenience of only being about 40 minutes away is too good to pass up......flying into a smaller airport and departing from a smaller airport has its advantages too. I fly into EGE and get to Vail courtesy of CME.......once in Vail, you def. do not need a car.......use the awesome free town bus...

Please don't consider flying into EGE a risk.....look at it as an advantage:)

Colorado
Level Contributor
987 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly into Denver or Vail

Fly to Vail. It is very rare that the airport has weather problems as it sits 30 minutes west of the ski area in a fairly dry valley.

6. Re: Fly into Denver or Vail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2011, 07:18