We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Snowboarding in Colorado: Beginner + Advanced

Hi everyone!

I am taking my boyfriend on a surprise trip to Colorado for a week in February. I bought tickets to Denver months ago. But I just can't decide between Vail and Breckenridge.

Unfortunately, this will be my first time snowboarding (does falling on my butt onto icy fake snow in Wisconsin count?). On the other hand, my boyfriend is a pretty good snowboarder.

Since, my boyfriend won't split up with me on the mountain. I am wondering which resort (Breckenridge or Vail) would be better in terms of a beginner learning WITH a non-beginner. I know green runs will be far from exciting for him, but I don't want him completely bored out of his mind.

Any suggestions or insight would be great!

Thank you.

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snowboarding in Colorado: Beginner + Advanced

Which ever resort you choose> take a lesson! Let him go off and enjoy some runs while you leave the teaching to the PROS! You'll fight less, you won't get hurt or intimidated and you'll both have a better time! IMO you should NEVER learn to drive, ski, board, golf from your significant other!!!!

He WILL be bored while you spend more time on your butt. Our snow is softer than WI but it takes patience & TIME to learn to board. Our instructors can save you a LOT of time & frustration. Unless he's a saint, take my advise!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,626 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snowboarding in Colorado: Beginner + Advanced

I agree with vailrealtor!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,453 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snowboarding in Colorado: Beginner + Advanced

me too! Lessons are a must.

Besides that you have picked to me 2 very different destinations.

Besides boarding what are you looking for in the destination?

chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snowboarding in Colorado: Beginner + Advanced

My boyfriend is not a saint (he tries), but he is stubborn. I plan on taking lessons in which case, HE plans on zooming around me while I take my lesson.

I heard that Vail has beginner runs at the top of the mountain, is this true? As you can see, I'm just trying to figure out which mountain has nicer runs in terms of us snowboarding together. I know, pretty ridiculous!

We plan to rent a condo through vrbo or stay at a resort with a kitchen. Besides that I'm planning on snowboarding as much as I can while I have the chance. Maybe a day of snowmobiling and a few nights out. Any suggestions for nice places or activities to visit?

Thanks again to everyone for being so helpful!

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snowboarding in Colorado: Beginner + Advanced

If You have not yet rented your accomodations, check into Beaver Creek. It has a GREAT learning area, beginner slopes up TOP, the mountain isn't as "intimadating" as Vail, and if you both get BOLD you can always pop over to Vail for a day (10 minutes away) Beaver Creek ski/board school is consistantly rated #1 in the country for a reason!!! You'll LOVE the intimate, romantic village, friendly mountain and terrific location that Beavr Creek has to offer.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,453 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snowboarding in Colorado: Beginner + Advanced

Right Vailrealtor, I was thinking that skim05 must mean Beaver Creek for the learning area. It is a big plus to me.

If your budget can swing it I'd look hard at BC. In addition to vrbo check out CL. http://rockies.craigslist.org/vac/

chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snowboarding in Colorado: Beginner + Advanced

I ended up not taking a lesson. My boyfriend (patiently) worked with me, and within a few days I was able to finally maneuver the catwalks and green runs. I did fall a lot, and busted my lip accidentally going over some moguls, but it was worth every bump and bruise. I did notice another couple, whose boyfriend was not as understanding...but I can see how teaching a newbie could be frustrating.

I suggest going to LOST BOY, there's a gondola that reconnects the run so do you can just keep practicing, and it's pretty deserted. (I was mainly worried about hitting someone, since for some reason, I have only one speed, fast.) Plus, there's only one catwalk and it's pretty short (I hate those things...). Finally, if you stay till right after the gondolas close, you can make your way down without having to worry about blocking anybody on the endless catwalks and harder runs.

Finally, anybody who is considered about going to Vail as a beginner, don't let people scare you. There are plenty of options and runs for you to practice on. Plus, I realized the locals and people who are great at snowboarding/skiing are more than understanding of beginners.

I ended up getting a great VRBO rental, message me for details if interested. It was less than a 5 minute walk to Vail Mountain with a private hot tub, and trust me you will need to after long days on the mountain.

Edited: 12 June 2011, 21:27
8. Re: Snowboarding in Colorado: Beginner + Advanced

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 22:16
Get answers to your questions about Vail