We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

april ski vail v whistler

cape mo
2 posts
Save Topic
april ski vail v whistler

We are planing an april 4-12 ski trip. Never skied this late before. Where should we go? Should we wait to book the trip?

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
543 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: april ski vail v whistler

Hmmmm... that is pretty late. In Vail the snow is usually bad by then (they call it mud season). BUT, it's been unusually cold with incredible snowfall. There might be a way that the snow stays that late, but it's rare. May I ask why such a late vacation?

Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
new york
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: april ski vail v whistler

Hi im thinking the same exact thing-- im planning on going snowboarding the first week of april this year and I cant decide which will be better vail or whistler... hopefully someone will have some good advice for us

cape mo
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: april ski vail v whistler

We are going so late because my ski partner is building a house and will not have the time or money untill then. Whistler says they ski until mid june. this true?

Mentioned in this post
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
543 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: april ski vail v whistler

I've never been to Whistler. The mountain in Vail closes mid-April, so the trails might be slim pick'ins. A basin is always open later, which is just up the road.

Mentioned in this post
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Vail
Vail
Colorado
kentucky
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: april ski vail v whistler

Go to whistler, it is spring skiing in early april. Colorado washes out by late march. Whistler/blackcomb probably has a couple weeks of extra life and has a glacier on top for that something extra that lasts deep into april...

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Vail
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: april ski vail v whistler

I don't know who the previous posters are, but I've lived in Vail for 13 years and the skiing in April is usually good, if not great. The snowiest months are Feb and March. and we already have the most snow in the last 25 years to date this season. Come, have fun the snow will be great.

Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Atlanta
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: april ski vail v whistler

Thank you! I am just booked a trip to Vail second week of april and am looking forward to it. Will all of the bowls still be open then?

Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: april ski vail v whistler

I have skied Whistler several times in late March/early April and Vail is almost always in much better shape.

Whistler is right on the coastline and picks up a lot of rain. Every time I've been it's raining at least half the way up the mountain and in the village. T

echnically Whistler says they ski until June on the glacier, but if you search their forum you'll find a lot of discussion about. It's definitely not skiing the way you're picturing.

I would always take Colorado springs over Whistler.

Mentioned in this post
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
892 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: april ski vail v whistler

Agreed with the prior post - Vail is open until April 22 this year and Whisler is at a much lower altitude.

Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: april ski vail v whistler

That time in Vail will be great Spring skiing! There's always snow up top & if we have been unseasonably warm, the bottom may be slushy but that is why our wonderful mountain has chairs which DOWNLOAD> Ski the top, it'll be fun.

BTW: Our season was extended an extra week this year because of all the snow we've gotten so far> and we haven't even hit our snowiest month yet!

Whistler gets rain that time of year which is like acid to snow! It makes it disappear much faster & ices up what's left

FUN stuff will be happening here the dates you are planning. Check out www.snow.com for events & activities!

Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada