We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying into DEN or EGE

Chicago
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flying into DEN or EGE

I am coming to Vail in late January with my wife and am deciding between flying in Denver and renting a car(same price as CME so I might as well drive myself vs cram into a van) or flying in EGE and taking CME to the hotel. Am I more likely to have weather issues with the flight into EGE or the drive up?(knock on wood).

P.S I have somewhat of a bad taste in my mouth with flying into Vail as the last time I did 3 years ago the drive took over 2.5 hours due to a backup of trucks on I-70 in Eagle as the round was just reopening.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying into DEN or EGE

You're more likely to have weather issues with the drive up from Denver, not to mention traffic issues if driving up Friday night or Saturday morning or driving down on a Sunday. You will also have to pay to park your car unless you have a condo that includes parking.

It is very rare to have the drive from Eagle to Vail take 2.5 hours, we had over 600 inches of snow last year and I can't think of once when there was a problem like that. Flying in and out of Eagle is faster for check in, security, picking up bags and getting to and from the hotel.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying into DEN or EGE

Especially if you're doing Chicago to Eagle direct, it's a much better way to go. As noted, you're far more likely to have weather or traffic issues on I70 from Denver than you would with issues into Eagle.

Your experience a few years ago is interesting. If I'm not mistaken, there's frontage road access all the way from EGE to the Minturn turnoff, which should have allowed you to miss most of that I70 traffic.

Wash. DC
Level Contributor
67 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying into DEN or EGE

If you can get a direct flight into EGE, take it. If you have to connect through Denver to get to EGE, I would rent a car and drive from Denver. Direct flights into EGE are not available near me, so I have to flyinto Denver first. Over the years, I've had two travel issues trying to fly into or out of EGE and have not had a nightmare story driving from Denver. In short, I just feel more in control of my destiny when I'm driving from Denver than worrying about connections, delays and plane cancellations trying to get to EGE through Denver. Flying to EGE works the overwhelming majority of the time, but those few times it doesn't, it's a royal pain.

Edited: 13 October 2011, 13:09
4. Re: Flying into DEN or EGE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about Vail