We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Vail during the winter 2011-2012

Which Vail hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Vail during the winter 2011-2012

I have never been to Vail. I am one of 4 friends who get together once a year for 20 years. We are in our 50's.

Trying to decide between Cascade Village and Lionshead. I like the connection to the hotel in Cascade Village. Seems more quiet and also has a great spa but still with easy access to Lionshead.

Any thoughts?

Greentown...
Level Contributor
244 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Vail during the winter 2011-2012

You're correct that it is out of the way.....it has its own lift for getting up on the mountain......but Lionshead is a great place to get onto the mountain as well.......and has a lot more going on and is of course quicker to get over to Vail Village via the free town bus..........

It's all what you really want for your group.......I like to stay at Lion Square Lodge or Antlers because it is so convenient to getting up the mountain and out to the back bowls quickly...........

If I knew I was coming to Vail and wanted to choose between the two.....I think I would still choose to stay in Lionshead.............I like to eat and hang out in Lionshead at Bart and Yeti's, Garfinkels, Blue Moose Pizza......etc.....which are all super close to where we stay.

In addition, my wife and her friend did a spa session at the Arrabelle, and raved about it for the whole vacation......so that is option too for the spa goers in your group.

Edited: 30 October 2011, 18:20
Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Vail during the winter 2011-2012

Lionshead> hands down. Staying at Cascade you'd spend valuable vacation time going back and forth to Vail/Lionshead on the shuttle. WHY? Stay where you'll be spending the majority of your time. There are many great spas in Vail & Lionshead. Arrabelle's spa is great.

3. Re: Where to stay in Vail during the winter 2011-2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2011, 21:41
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,477 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Vail during the winter 2011-2012

I stayed at the Cascade last winter and loved it. It is a bit quieter and you do need to take the shuttle over, I found that pretty easy. Our main thing is skiing so having the lift right there without a line is huge for me. The whole Vail experience is not that important to me, I have been many, many times.

My late night party days are long gone. An Apre ski at the Red Lion and dinner at Sweet Basils is about as crazy as we get anymore.

I did really like the Hot-tubs at the Cascade with the fire pits next to them. A glass or 2 at the hot-tub and I am good!

Agree though if you are going to be hanging out in the Village I'd try to stay there.

Edited: 01 November 2011, 00:38
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
1,020 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Vail during the winter 2011-2012

alli, don't you go to The Club to see Steve Meyers the "goodtime guy"? He's been there since I was in my 20's and I shudder to think that I'm in my 50's and I still find him wildly entertaining. Makes the Red Lion look pretty tame.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,477 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Vail during the winter 2011-2012

Steve Meyers, the Club? I loath to admit I have no idea. But willing to give it a try!!

Getting ready for the season PlanetR?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
1,020 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Vail during the winter 2011-2012

Check it out for sure www.theclubvail.com I checked and he's back during ski season.

Not mentally ready for winter yet, but just picked up new skis/boots so when the inevitable arrives I'll be ready. Trying the new equipment out at Heavenly in December and will be in Vail in March!

8. Re: Where to stay in Vail during the winter 2011-2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2012, 05:16