We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how bad are ski conditions with little snow???

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
110 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
how bad are ski conditions with little snow???

I'm traveling from the east coast to Vail next Friday and I'm trying to access the situation (and decide if I should cancel). I keep hearing about the warm temps and scarcity of snow in the west. Forecasts are calling for cold weather next weekend but not much in the way of snow. I ski green-blue slopes so the lack of the back bowl won't be an issue, and I know there is snow-making capability. I guess I want to know how grassy the slopes are now and if it has snowed in the past few days. Is it very different skiing on man-made snow? Any help from someone in Vail would be appreciated!!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,203 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how bad are ski conditions with little snow???

I'd wait until tomorrow, they are calling for snow today/tonite.

Since you are on the groomers I'd not really worry in any case.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
11,045 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how bad are ski conditions with little snow???

Have you looked at their webcams?

vail.com/mountain/…mountain-cams.aspx

Snow forecast:

http://www.snowforecast.com/Vail

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how bad are ski conditions with little snow???

It's snowing right now, they're calling for 5-12 inches. You can check Vail.com for snow totals and webcams.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: how bad are ski conditions with little snow???

Vail thinks more like 3-5 bet now and Monday. 12" would would be a blessing, more like a miracle this season. Note: Back bowls and Blue Sky are NOT open yet.

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how bad are ski conditions with little snow???

If you are a green/blue skier, I'd still come. Our snowmaking & grooming have done a tremendous job working with what we have>the least amount of natural snow I have seen for this time of year in over 30 years> It is a shame that the back's not open, but you'll find plenty of groomers on the front side to put a smile on your face! and YES!!! It is snowing today!!

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
11,045 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how bad are ski conditions with little snow???

texranger posted this article the other day: vaildaily.com/article/…1062

marco852
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how bad are ski conditions with little snow???

I skied at Vail 2 weeks ago. 30% of the mountain was open (same as now). Vail was very crowded with so much of the mountain closed. I would not go again, until there is more terrain open.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
110 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how bad are ski conditions with little snow???

Weather Channel says there was snow today... was it enough to make a difference?

2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: how bad are ski conditions with little snow???

Probably not. Worst conditions in 30 years. We got about 7" today. Not worth all the travel money. I promise

Edited: 08 January 2012, 03:55
Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: how bad are ski conditions with little snow???

^^ much depends on the type of skier you are. If an expert aggressive skier looking for steeps then probably better to save your money. If you satisfied with groomers, enjoying the outdoors, eating great food, shopping then you'll be fine.