We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denver to Vail

Which Vail hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Denver to Vail

Hi there,

We are looking at a ski holiday in Vail. We are looking at flying into Denver and either taking a shuttle service or possible SUV Limo service to get us to Vail to avoid being crammed into mini van with others.

What are the roads like getting there ?

Are they safe, are they winding roads ?

I understand you need to go through 2 passes up and down the mountains - is this a difficult drive for a passenger that may suffer from travel sickness ?

If we considered the option of flying to Eagle Airport what are the pros / cons ?

How long would it take to get to Vail from Eagle.

We will be flying from New York (after holidaying there) so guessing I can get flights from NYC to either Denver or Eagle.

Thanks for your help.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denver to Vail

I prefer flying into Eagle-Vail Airport, it's small, efficient and just over 30 minutes from Vail. You should be able to get direct flights from JFK and I believe LaGuardia too.

Denver will offer more flight options including Southwest Airlines, which usually has good prices and no baggage charge. The drive up from Denver is about 2 hours, depending on traffic and weather. There is no need for a car in Vail so I feel it's easier to let a professional do the driving and you can enjoy the scenery. The roads are safe, I-70 is a major interstate, it does have curves, but not like a twisty rural mountain road.

Greentown...
Level Contributor
244 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denver to Vail

I have an annual trip to Vail.......I always fly into Eagle via Newark........Continental has a direct flight into Eagle from Newark.......leaves about 9 am and gets you to Eagle around noon..........can ski arrival day free if staying at Vail w/ boarding pass...............very convenient......I use Colorado Mountain Express to get to Vail.....30 min. shuttle...........For me this has always worked as the most convenient way.......maybe not the most budget conscious way........but def. most convenient.

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Denver to Vail

If the price doesn't bother you, DEFINATELY fly into Eagle! It is 30 minutes or so from Vail, an easy straight shot down I-70 with no passes. The roads up from Denver (although interstate all the way) can be a harrowing experience in a snow storm. Vail pass can be a bear. Traffic back & forth to/ from Denver on weekends can crawl, bumper to bumper for hours.

If you do have to fly into Denver, take a shuttle. Leave the driving to the pros! Do not rent a car. They are useless in Vail Village> we have a fabulous free bus system & our Village is pedestrian only. You'll pay heavy fees to park/valet a rental car.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
1,010 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Denver to Vail

Every condo I've rented in Vail Village has come with a parking space included. I do like to leave the Village to eat in Avon, Minturn, Edwards etc.. and to go grocery shopping. I like the freedom of having a car. If you only plan to stay in Vail then the bus system works fine.

5. Re: Denver to Vail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 February 2012, 21:05
Boston...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Denver to Vail

In January I am taking my first trip to Vail!!!!! I was looking into different options for getting from Denver Airport to our condo in Vail. We are on a bit of a budget and I found that there is a Greyhound bus that goes from Denver to Vail. Has anyone gone this route before? I will keep trying, but at this point have not got a hold of anyone at the Denver Greyhound. I am wondering if the Greyhound station is in or near the airport? There is just two of us traveling, does anyone know if there are vans you can reserve with other groups of people to help reduce the costs?

Thanks,

Matt

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Denver to Vail

Have you checked out http://www.coloradomountainexpress.com/ ? Reliable, competitive pricing, and less hassle that taking the greyhound bus. Denver airport is far from the city so you'd need to get to the station, either by taxi or RTF bus. It's doable but I'd say a major headache trying to coordinate. It's an expense worth taking.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Denver to Vail

Getting from the airport to the Greyhound station in a fairly big headache as texranger stated. CME is very reliable and has lots of shuttles so you won't waste your vacation trying to save a little money. Since you're staying in a condo go by one of the two grocery stores in Vail and pick up breakfast food and some beverages of choice to save some cash.

Boston...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Denver to Vail

Thanks for the info on the greyhound station location. I was afraid it wasn't located near th airport....that would have been way to easy! I think we will do CME. That was my alternative option, just was hoping the greyhound option was feasible. Thanks again for the responses!

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
658 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Denver to Vail

I am in the minority but I think flying to Denver is a great option due to the cost of flights, I just found Boston - Denver for $89 each way. 70 is not a bad drive, yes the Vail pass can be a bit hairy but it is such a beautiful drive.

If I found cheap flights from Boston - Eagle it might be an option but for now I fly in/out Denver usually several times a year. Beautiful state.

Get answers to your questions about Vail