We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Timer to Vail .....Confused?

Which Vail hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
186 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
1st Timer to Vail .....Confused?

We are planning our first trip to Vail. We are a family with 2 adults and 3 boys aged 14, 12 & 10. We do like to plan rather far in advance. I'm confused on all the Vail "neighborhoods". West Vail, EastVail, Lionshead etc.

Our preference would be to be in the heart of things...walk

to restaurants and nightlife, very very close to ski lift and ski school. Preference also for a condo.

Your help is appreciated.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,348 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Timer to Vail .....Confused?

We've stayed in both Lionshead and Golden Peak--both are very close to the lifts. I prefer Golden Peak because it was more central to getting around the mountain.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
1,010 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Timer to Vail .....Confused?

Vail Village is the center of it all. Lionshead and Golden Peak are on either side of the village. Any of these 3 locations are good. My order of preference is Vail Village, Golden Peak and Lionshead. Any condo within walking distance of the lifts is considered a great location. A free intown shuttle bus runs constantly between these points and staying near a bus stop is also convenient. If you shuttle to Golden Peak it takes you to the lift with very little walking involved. If you shuttle to Vail Village it takes you get off at the Transportation Center and it's a walk to the Vista Bahn lift. If you shuttle to Lionshead it's a walk to the gondola.

East Vail, West Vail, Sandstone are near Vail, but require a car or shuttle to get to the ski hill. There are parking structures that charge 20 something dollars/day. The shuttles from the outlaying areas are free and take you to the Vail Transportion Center about every 20 minutes or so. From there you can intown shuttle to the Golden Peak lift or just walk thru Vail Village to the lift. These accomodations are much less expensive, but much less convenient and you aren't as close to the action. You can check for condos at www.vrbo.com. I also frequently use Vail Realty or Brandess Cadmus Realty. Both located in Vail Village and handle rentals for owners. All 3 of these methods have found me decent condos near the lifts. Can't say the prices are reasonable, but for Vail they are competitive.

Edited: 13 March 2012, 15:04
Sydney
Level Contributor
186 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Timer to Vail .....Confused?

Thanks for the reply. Where areas are the ski schools located?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,348 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Timer to Vail .....Confused?

I'm not sure about adult classes, but the kids' classes start at both Golden Peak and Lionshead.

5. Re: 1st Timer to Vail .....Confused?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 08:40
Get answers to your questions about Vail