We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few suggestions please...

Edmond, OK
Level Contributor
114 posts
225 reviews
Save Topic
A few suggestions please...

My husband and I are going to Vail in two weeks. He will be in business meetings all day but I would like to do some hiking, river rafting, zip lining, maybe bike riding, great lunches and alot of sitting by the pool reading my book. Is it safe to do these things by myself and what would you recommend? Any recommendations on things to do would be great! Thanks!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,781 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few suggestions please...

You should have no problem finding lots to do by yourself. Where are you staying? I'm usually in Vail/Beaver Creek in winter but have had a couple business trips this spring. Hiking is great and trails are well marked. I had a wonderful evening hike at Beaver Creek 10 days ago up the mountain. My wife and I stayed at the Marriott Vail Resort in late April and she had a great time biking and shopping. Water is low this year but you should still be able to go rafting. There are many companies like Timberline Tours.

You'll have a great time - very pleasant place in summertime.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,649 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few suggestions please...

I don't usually hike alone in unfamiliar areas. I do travel solo but am cautious about the hiking thing because if you get in a bind you are truly solo. Up in the mountains you probably won't have cell phone coverage and if the trail isn't well traveled you may be all alone for awhile.

solofriendly.com/10-tips-for-hiking-alone-sa…

Here is a link to an article that gives info on hiking guides and groups in Vail.

…usatoday.com/hiking-vail-co-55827.html

Hope you have a great trip and lots of good memories.

Edited: 07 July 2012, 16:59
Edmond, OK
Level Contributor
114 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few suggestions please...

We are also staying at the Marriott Vail resort. Did you wife find that things are in close walking proximity to the hotel?

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A few suggestions please...

Some Vail links for info on what's happening in the area:

www.vail.com/events/event-calendar.aspx

vail.com/summer/…

www.vail.com/summer/events/summer-events.aspx

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,781 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few suggestions please...

The Marriott is located in the Lionshead area. Yes, there are some things nearby but more in Vail Village, which is a super short shuttle ride or a 20 minute walk. One nice aspect is you're just a couple minutes walk to the gondola which can whisk you up the mountain to a wide range of trails, or you can just hike up. Check the links posted above. In addition to the Marriott, checkout the Arrabelle just a couple minutes away - nice place to relax for a drink.

Edmond, OK
Level Contributor
114 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few suggestions please...

Thanks for the great info y'all! I can't wait! I also have 3 books loaded on my iPad so I should be all set! Thanks again!

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few suggestions please...

If you like shopping, Vail has many nice little shops.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
10 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few suggestions please...

Vail has pretty good cell phone service. The ski trails in Vail are a wonderful hike during the Summer!

If you want a really pretty area to go for the day, check out the Piney River area just across the highway. Beautiful.

Vail is VERY safe! Bike rides and bike paths are everywhere. You will never want to leave! It's my 2nd home!

Enjoy your stay!

K S
Buena Vista...
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: A few suggestions please...

Consider going to Glenwood Springs for rafting and zip-lining. Glenwood Canyon Resort runs the Shoshone section of the Colorado River (Class III, good for beginners and intermediates), and also has a zip-line on its property. There's a bar and grill there, too, in a really nice, new place on the river. They offer transportation from Lionshead in Vail so you could spend the whole day doing these activities.

K S
Buena Vista...
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: A few suggestions please...

Consider going to Glenwood Springs for rafting and zip-lining. Glenwood Canyon Resort runs the Shoshone section of the Colorado River (Class III, good for beginners and intermediates), and also has a zip-line on its property. There's a bar and grill there, too, in a really nice, new place on the river. They offer transportation from Lionshead in Vail so you could spend the whole day doing these activities.