We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for cheapest lodging

Medina, Ohio
Level Contributor
464 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for cheapest lodging

I'm looking to spend around 100-150 per night max and was wondering if anyone can suggest somewhere to stay. We will be skiing in Vail so preferably I would like no more then a 30 min. drive to the slopes.

I was thinking of summit county but that is somewhat far, is there any cheap lodging along the interstate closer to the slopes? Thanks

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,369 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for cheapest lodging

The Roost in Vail is usually inexpensive, and you can take the free bus to the village. You might also look at Eagle, there are a number of chain hotels there. Don't forget you'll have to pay for parking if you drive in, usually $25 a day.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,652 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for cheapest lodging

A lot depends on your time of year. As you head west, there are cheaper alternatives. Try, for example, the Comfort Inn in Avon. Continue looking west to Edwards, Eagle, etc. Check to see where you can get bus to avoid the parking fee at Vail. You really should be able to hit your price point unless you're looking at a holiday period.

Medina, Ohio
Level Contributor
464 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for cheapest lodging

I did look at Eagle and they have a comfort inn for around 90 a night. I also found 2 places closer to Vail, one is the holiday inn apex I think its called and the other is breakaway west condos. Both have rooms for 130 a night during my stay January 15-18. Do you think its worth it to pay the extra 40 a night or is it easy enough to just hop on the bus in eagle and get to vail? The difference in price of the hotels is a lift ticket for one so I'm not sure what's best to do.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,674 posts
1,070 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for cheapest lodging

I would spend the extra money and stay closer. You can catch free shuttles to Vail Village from either Holiday Inn or Breakaway so you can avoid the parking charge. By the time you travel from Eagle, pay for parking it really isn't saving you much.

Medina, Ohio
Level Contributor
464 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for cheapest lodging

OK great. It would probably be the Holiday inn though, all the condos I looked at require 50% deposits as well as charge cancellation fees for each night.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,674 posts
1,070 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for cheapest lodging

The Holiday Inn looks nice. I've been in the lobby because they have 3 restaurants on site, two of which I like to eat at. Nozawa is a sushi restaurant with great early bird pricing. Westside Cafe is a good place with reasonable prices for the area. You are very close to a Safeway and City Market just a minute away if you want to pick up a few things for your room. Couple of strip malls with more reasonably priced restaurants for dining very nearby. It's definitely a big step up from the Roost Lodge which I stayed at as a college kid decades ago. I think you'll be happy with your choice. Hard to find inexpensive anything in Vail.

Medina, Ohio
Level Contributor
464 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay for cheapest lodging

Yes, very expensive. I think this will be the first time airfare will be the cheapest part of the trip, lol.

Medina, Ohio
Level Contributor
464 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay for cheapest lodging

Just one more thing, which one would you pick. The Comfort Inn Near Vail Beaver Creek, Breakaway west condos or the Holiday Inn Apex? Thanks

Edited: 03 September 2012, 02:56
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,674 posts
1,070 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay for cheapest lodging

Comfort Inn is nice, but it's in Avon close to Beaver Creek about 10 miles from Vail. Breakaway West is in Sandstone less then a mile from the slopes. Check www.vrbo.com for rentals by owner. Each unit is individually owned and decor will vary. If you need the space and want a kitchen it or any condo in Sandstone would be a good choice.. Holiday Inn is nearby and it's a good choice if you want a hotel vs. condo. Both Holiday Inn and Sandstone condos are on shuttle routes.

Edited: 03 September 2012, 04:00
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,218 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay for cheapest lodging

The Roost that Dogmama mentioned is fine. Basic but an easy bus ride over to Lionshead, free breakfast and free parking. Hard to beat. Just get a room away from the highway.