We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lionshead vs Vail Village

south
Level Contributor
116 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Lionshead vs Vail Village

Coming to ski the week before Christmas with 2 teenage boys. I'm trying to get the layout of the town to decide where to book a condo. We love the Whistler Village, and I'm assuming Vail Village is sort of like that? Lionshead area seems a little more reasonably priced though. Is that mainly a little base area, or is it a big "happening" feel area? Any advice is appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,948 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lionshead vs Vail Village

Well, Vail is quite different than Whistler actually. Vail Village has much more of a small village feel. Definitely more restaurants, shops and activity in Vail Village. Lionshead is the heart of the more recent high-end development in Vail, just a 5-10 minute shuttle from Vail Village. Plenty to do, restaurants, etc. but a bit more laid back. Access to skiing is comparable.

Where Whistler has the LONG main street, Vail is more of a small village around a central core. Not as expansive as Whistler. It's a different feel but equally enjoyable and you'll have a great experience.

My personal choice is Vail Village. That said, tomorrow night I'm staying in Lionshead.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
12,070 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lionshead vs Vail Village

Vail seems a bit more spread out than Whistler, and a little harder to walk from one end to the other. We've stayed in Lionshead several times and find it convenient to the gondola. There are shops and restaurants and the free bus service to the central village is fast and easy.

The last time we were in Vail, we stayed in the Golden Peak area, and actually liked that best. When we took the lift up, we were more centally located on the mountain and we could easily walk to the central village if we didn't want to take the bus.

Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
1,122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lionshead vs Vail Village

Can't go wrong with Vail Village, Golden Peak or Lionshead in that order.

Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,191 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lionshead vs Vail Village

I will be the dissenting vote. I like Lionshead, always have even before it got all fancy. The gondola gets you up high so you can ski right away, instead of skiing to another lift. It is more "grown up" than the crowd in the village. I find it calmer more relaxing. Plus they are very close to one another. We walk back and forth or if it is super cold the shuttle is right there too.

Though as everyone said you can't really go wrong.

Greentown...
Level Contributor
244 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lionshead vs Vail Village

Second that on Lionshead......we prefer to stay there because it allows us to get to the terrain we prefer the fastest in the direction we like......

Ski out to Gondola

Game Creek Bowl

Follow ridge and drop into Sun Down Bowl

Chicken Yard terrain

Sun Up Bowl and Yonder terrain

Marmot Valley out to Blue Sky

Siberia Bowl and Inner and Outer Mongolia

Work our way back to Lionshead after lunch...........Après at Garfinkels

Vail Village is still an easy free 5 minute bus ride........Vail is a great trip....as noted, can't go wrong where you choose.

Mentioned in this post
Garfinkel's
Garfinkel's
589 Reviews
Vail, CO
Vail
Vail
Colorado
south
Level Contributor
116 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lionshead vs Vail Village

Thanks for the info! I'm going to pull up the trail map and check these out.

NC
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lionshead vs Vail Village

Lionshead hands down!

minnesota
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Lionshead vs Vail Village

Just read you response to "Vail or Lionshead?"

This is our first visit to Vail, would you mind providing more detail, it would be really helpful!

Looking for a sample itinerary to hit the slopes, particularly back bowls and long blue/blacks, and not waste a lot of time in unnecessary lines etc. We are staying in Lionshead.

Thanks much!

Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Plantation Florida
Level Contributor
485 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lionshead vs Vail Village

A few tips I'll pass along. The locals and regulars around here already know this, so I'm going to be giving very basic info, but it's useful.

The chairs and gondolas are referred by their number. So when you're looking at the map, memorize the numbers. That being said, if you want to reach Blue Sky Basin, and you're an intermediate skier, you want to start in Vail Village, take #1, #4, Sleepy Time (Blue Trail), #37. You will find this on the left side of the map. Blue Sky Basin opens an hour after the main area. So if you get to the bottom of Sleepy Time and blue sky isn't open yet, you can take the #21 and ski the bowl.

Once you reach Blue Sky Basin and take the #37 to the top, ski down the Cloud 9 Trail. Half way down, there is a junction point, it will point you left to the #39, or right to the #21 (exit of Blue Sky). Go left and get on the #39. Now you're heading to the summit, take Grand Review down. This leads back to #39 and you can sky all those trails.

If you're in Lionshead, you'll take #19 to the Game Creek bowl, #7 to top, and you can either ski the Game Creek bowl, which is really nice in the morning, or get to the back bowls from there (black trails).

Like mentioned up above, a bus runs between the villages. You'll want to start one day in Vail Village (left side of map) and head to Blue Sky basin first thing. And another day, you'll want to start in Lionshead and hit the Game Creek bowl first thing.

Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
minnesota
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Lionshead vs Vail Village

Thank you, so helpful!!

Can't wait!