We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private Ski Lessons_Vail

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Private Ski Lessons_Vail

hi all, i want to take 1 full day of private lessons in Vail on March 1st; does anyone have a friend who is a professional that would be less expensive than what Vail resort charges??. thanks in advance!!!!

Caroll

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,216 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private Ski Lessons_Vail

Nope, it is illegal to do so. I don't know any instructor who'd risk it.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Private Ski Lessons_Vail

Yes, as Alli said underground instructing is illegal. Pretty universal. Those caught faced federal charges and fines up to $5,000, although most first-time offenders nabbed area cited for $525. The real sting is a lifetime ban from skiing at all five Vail Resorts ski areas.

Edited: 09 February 2013, 23:02
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private Ski Lessons_Vail

sorry, i want to make sure i understand. it is illegal for someone to teach me how to ski at Vail that doesn't work for Vail resort? this is my first time skiing ever and i hadn't thought this might be a problem. wow. well thank you for letting me know this! i guess i'll have to go through the resort.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,546 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private Ski Lessons_Vail

Going through the resort is absolutely what you want to do. First rate instructors that are insured by the resort. There are no exceptions and you wouldn't want someone who is. I would suggest taking at least a full day of lesson and two to three if you are able. Most resorts offer special deals for "never evers" including a limited lift ticket, lessons, and rentals. That's the best kind of deal you'll find in terms of learning to ski.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,216 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private Ski Lessons_Vail

<<it is illegal for someone to teach me how to ski at Vail that doesn't work for Vail resort? >>

Only if they charge you. Has to do with permits or something.

Houston
Level Contributor
72 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private Ski Lessons_Vail

I was just browsing the Vail forum and saw this post. I have a place in East Vail and having been skiing Vail for years.

Ok so I have to ask.

Last week a friend of mine joined me in Vail. Years ago he was a professional skier.

I am pretty good but definitely not on his level. So we spent a whole day together with him watching me ski down a run and then he would tell me what I did right and wrong and give me advice.

Apparently I had some pretty bad habits that I had been reinforcing for years.

One day of "lessons" with my friend made a huge difference. I was blown away.

Is it actually a state or local law that says "No private lessons outside of the ski resort?" Were we breaking the law or just a rule of Vail mountain?

Can anyone point me to the actual law so I can read it and understand exactly what it says?

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private Ski Lessons_Vail

Here's an article about illegal ski lessons: thesnowpros.org/Portals/0/Images/News%20&%20…

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Private Ski Lessons_Vail

Nice piece dogmama.

Of course your mother, bro, sis, friend, ski pro bud can give you tips --good and prob mostly bad-- on the hill. It's when you "hire" someone who is not thru the resort that you are quilty of "theft of services" and both you and the underground instructor can get screwed. BTW Vail is on federal land as are most U.S. ski resorts. It's a federal issue but there is also a CO statute covering the issue as well.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,546 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Private Ski Lessons_Vail

dbullion, your friend spent the day with you because he enjoys your company and takes pleasure in seeing you improve as a skier. It is a sign of true friendship; known scientifically as "reciprocal altruism." When I have friends and family out visiting I do the exact same thing. I tend to focus on line selection and fluidity regardless of what you're sliding on; both when I'm watching friends and when they are watching me. That said, this isn't what the OP is asking about.

Edited: 10 February 2013, 17:55
10. Re: Private Ski Lessons_Vail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2014, 06:18