We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo walking to lifts

Which Vail hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
262 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Condo walking to lifts

I am looking for a condo walking distance to lifts, like across the street or parking lot. Ive stayed in Mammoth at 1849 condos and Park City at Shadow Ridge which were both perfect family style condos right across the street. I will have a 3 year old starting childrens ski school and I am a beginner/intermediate level.. So I am a bit confused about where to stay Lionshead vs Village vs Golden Peak. Where's most of the rentals, ski school, best lodge for lunch etc most convenient etc.

Scotland
Level Contributor
593 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo walking to lifts

There are ski-schools in several locations, and wherever you are there are many places for lunch and to rent skis. The kid's ski-schools are in Lionshead and Golden Peak, and adult intermidate/advanced groups also go out of Mid Vail. You can rent skis at the ski schools or at the many ski-rental places in Lionshead and Vail Village.

The ski school is fabulous - I spent many years in ski-school classes there and still prefer to pay for classes rather than ski on my own.

So, you really don't need to worry about location in Vail - it's hard to be very far at all from a ski-schoo, ski rental location or great restaurants/delis etc. The bus is free, or at least it used to be, so it's easy to get from place to place.

There's construction now in Lionshead and I'm not sure when it is supposed to be done, so you may want to find out before you decide where to stay. However, I've always stayed in or near Lionshead, so am partially to that part of Vail.

The SunVail condos, which are across the highway overpass by the school in Lionshead are great. It's less than 10 minutes to the slopes - there's a pedestrain overpass over the highway and then just a short walk through Lionshead to the slopes, restauarants, stores etc. But it's far enough from the hustle and bustle to be quiet.

http://www.sunvail.com/

Have fun!!!

Kate

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
262 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo walking to lifts

Anymore suggestions? Anyone familiar with the other condos Ive mentioned?

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
262 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo walking to lifts

bumpity bump

coonabarabran
Level Contributor
29 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo walking to lifts

You'll have to be specific, as Vail has thousands of condos. If you narrow it down a bit I can help.

You can't walk 5 feet without tripping over a ski rental shop or restaurant so that is hardly a problem.

Vail Village is the best over all three locations.

Wash. DC
Level Contributor
67 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo walking to lifts

Since you are beginner/intermediate, I would suggest staying in the Lionshead area so you have access to the gondola. Golden Peak is the other kids ski school site, but you'll appreicate having the gondola near where your staying in case you want to ride it back down the mountain instead of skiing down. Vail is not the easiest mountain for a beginner to come back down to the village at the end of a ski day. There are lots a traverses and it takes a while. I'd ski the heck out of the mountain and then take the Gondola home instead of skiing back down. If you opt for Lionshead, there will be construction but, so what. It's a little less aesthetically pleasing.

The Village is great to visit, but with a three year old, you would have to take the shuttle to either golden peak or lionshead. The shuttle is free, very convenient, but the less hassle you have to endure when a three year old is involved, the better.

Lionsquare lodge is a safe choice for lodging. Right near the ski school and gondola. Lots of ski rental shops. The units vary in quality, but none are bad (at least that I've heard.). With a 3 year old, I doubt there's a more convenient place to stay in Vail.

Lunch on the Mountain is good anywhere. Ski over to Two Elk Lodge one day, eat at Buffalo's one day. Avoid the mid-vail area on the mountain on weekends or during peak times. Try Bart and Yeti's and Pazzos Pizza for cheap (and good) eats in town.

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo walking to lifts

You might try Manor Vail which is a terrific complex across the street from the childrens ski school at Golden Peak. Lionshead is a bit messy these days with the exciting redevelopment going on there. You may also want to check into Beaver Creek (Vail's little sister) it is only 10 minutes away, has a fab childrens ski school, outdoor ice rink and many more options for ski-in/out lodging. The mountain is easy to navigate and has terrific intermediate skiing. Check out www.snow.com for info on either area.

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
892 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo walking to lifts

Lionshead has the most variety of lodging options - all within an easy walk to the gondola. The construction is pretty much a non-issue, all the work is inside the site. The other poster is correct that there are plenty of rental shops, etc wherever you stay. Both Lionshead and Gold Peak have children's ski school, but Lionshead has the gondola which takes you to Adventure Ridge - your kids will love the ice skating and tubing on top of the mountain. Check vail.com for the best selection of lodging and accommodations.

8. Re: Condo walking to lifts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 11:22