We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott Hotel or their Streamside Vacation Club?

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Marriott Hotel or their Streamside Vacation Club?

I will be coming to Vail 12/22-12/26. I want to stay at a Marriott . I have tentively booked the Streamside Vacation Club (1 bedroom) but I am not sure if I should stay in re: their hotel (standard room).

Some reviews I have read are indicating that the Streamside is in need of renovations. Plus it's not located on the slopes. However, the standard room is just that (no living area, no fireplace, kitchen etc).

Can anyone please advise? I have until tomorrow to cancel and change my reservation.

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott Hotel or their Streamside Vacation Club?

Streamside is located in West Vail, about a mile or two west of Vail Village. They do have a shuttle which runs on a regular basis to take you to & from the ski slopes. versus The Marriot hotel which is located in Lionshead right at the gondola.

Do you know which building at Streamside> some are newer than others. The Aspen & Birch buildings are down on the stream, the Cedar up on a hillside, the Douglas back against the hillside & the Evergreen which, if you are on the front side has lovely views of I-70.

I'd go with the hotel. You'll be within walking distance of everything Vail has to offer. A hotel room is a hotel room> you'll only be sleeping there after exppending all of your energy during the day skiing your buns off!!!

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
892 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott Hotel or their Streamside Vacation Club?

The Streamside is completely different than the Marriott Resort. Streamside is a timeshare resort about 2 miles to the slopes and as the previous post mentioned, the Marriott Resort is right in Lionshead Village. I'm inclined to always steer people away from the Streamside toward any option in Lionshead or Vail Village. You'll have a nicer time at the Marriott Resort or if you want a condominium, at most any property in Lionshead.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott Hotel or their Streamside Vacation Club?

Thank you both very much. I just canceled my reservation at Streamside and booked a room at the Marriott Hotel (based on your advice).

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott Hotel or their Streamside Vacation Club?

Do you both have any other advise? For example, will we need reservations for dining in advance given it's Christmas (weekend)? Is the dress for dinner casual even at fine dining restaurants? We rented a car so are there any places you would recommend for us to go and see outside this area?

I appreciate any feedback you can provide.

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
892 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott Hotel or their Streamside Vacation Club?

Definately book reservations in advance - the concierge at the Marriott will assist you. Sweet Basil, La Tour & Montauk are some of my favorites. And also ask your hotel concierge to book your lift tickets (Vail has a great discounted program for tickets if you book through your hotel - have them start your lift tickets 12/22 even if you are not skiing that day and you'll save big $$$).

No need for a car once you are here.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriott Hotel or their Streamside Vacation Club?

Vailskier,

Thanks for the restaurant suggestions.

I already purchased my lift tickets online, $249 for a 3 out of 5 day pass. Is this a good deal?

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriott Hotel or their Streamside Vacation Club?

I second previous posters rec.s for dinner, I would also add La Botega for casual italian & Terra Bistro.

This is a vacation destination so all restaurants are casual. During the Holidays, some people dress up a bit more> you'll see more fur & sparkle than usual... but a nice sweater and slacks is perfect for men & women. Leave your jacket & ties back in the big city! What is a big fashion no-no is to be out past apre ski in your ski outfit & ski boots!!!

As far as the car you have rented which you will find you'll barely use> you could take a day trip to Beaver Creek (10 min. west) or if you want to take a day off from skiing you could drive 60 miles west on I-70 to visit Glenwood springs to bask in the warmth of the hot springs and vapor caves there. The drive through Glenwood canyon is gorgeous.

Locals dine alot in Edwards (about 15 minutes from Vail) so you might try some dining options there. More casual & fun! Fiesta's for great homemade Mexican (try the Chile Rellenos!) The Gashouse (great wild game dishes) Gore Range Brewery (micro brews & a terrific menu) Sato's (best Sushi joint in town!) Ray's. Markos Pizza, are a few of my fav's.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriott Hotel or their Streamside Vacation Club?

Thanks again for all your suggestions and input. I have made reservations at Sweet Basil, Montauk, Grouse Mountain and Beano's. I am sure we will be pleased with them all.

9. Re: Marriott Hotel or their Streamside Vacation Club?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 13:18