We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in Walsenburg and Ouray areas

Which Walsenburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wabasha, MN
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking in Walsenburg and Ouray areas

We are planning a trip to the Walsenburg and Ouray areas this July. We like to take day hikes (10 miles or less round trip) to alpine lakes and waterfalls. Can anyone make any recommendations for great hikes in these two areas? Also any other "don't miss" things to see. We are also going to take a couple of days to run down to Taos and Santa Fe. Recommendations for things to see here?

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,110 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking in Walsenburg and Ouray areas

Welcome to Trip Advisor!

I live near Ouray and it is one of my favorite places! I think you will love it. Hiking opportunities are almost limitless. Would suggest you look at www.ouraycolorado.com and click on recreation, then summer recreation, then hiking. There is a downloadable trail guide. There are a number of hiking books about Ouray that you might be able to find online. If you can find one by Kelvin Kent, I'd recommend that. He's a local man who has hiked worldwide, including Nepal. I think it's called Favorite Hiking Trails of Ouray, Colorado.

One of my favorite places is Yankee Boy Basin. It is not just a hiking trail because it's accessible by an old mine road which is getting rougher every year and is passable by 4 wheel drive vehicles only. Lots of people hike there and there are beautiful waterfalls and wildflowers. (One year I saw a bazillion hummingbirds there!) Just a warning, though, it is a popular jeep tour destination, so for part of the road you would have some traffic. It is worth it, though.

From Ouray you can travel south over Red Mountain Pass to Durango over the "Million Dollar Highway." Lots of hiking possibilities along this road. From Durango I'd recommend a trip to Mesa Verde National Park located between Durango and Cortez. It is a national treasure and it would be a shame to be so close and miss seeing it.

Then on to Taos and Santa Fe. Or you could go to Taos and Santa Fe from Walsenburg and return to Durango and over the mountains to Ouray. CasaAzul is one of the destination experts for that area and will have lots of suggestions for you. You might post in the New Mexico forum as well.

Have fun planning!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,848 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking in Walsenburg and Ouray areas

Hmmm Walsenburg, interesting choice. Not exactly near any alpine lakes and waterfalls. Nearby is Great Sand Dunes Nat Park, Lathrop State Park and San Isabel National Forest. Also the Sangre de Cristo mountains west of the area have plenty of trails.

If it was me, I would pick another place to stay unless you are visiting family. Look at the area around Buena Vista and Salida, great hikes etc.

Plenty of hiking in Santa Fe and Taos as well.

Wabasha, MN
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking in Walsenburg and Ouray areas

Thanks everyone. We are visiting family in the Walsenburg area, near LaVeta, for a couple of days. Then we are heading out to Taos and then on to Ouray area. Just was wondering if there is anything near Walsenburg for the first few days, and then after that on to Taos and Ouray. Any more info. is most appreciated. TripAdvisor is the greatest website!!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,848 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking in Walsenburg and Ouray areas

Hey, visiting family in the Walsenburg area is great! I would make sure you visit Great Sand Dunes Nat Park. There are some hikes there that head up into the mountains. www.nps.gov/grsa/planyourvisit/hiking.htm

Spanish Peaks trails to the summits are always an adventure!

Sangre de Cristo Wilderness and San Isabel/Pike National Forest hikes all listed here. fs.fed.us/r2/…trail_guide.shtml

Also Fort Garland has an interesting fort to visit.

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
645 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking in Walsenburg and Ouray areas

I agree that Great Sand Dunes is worth a visit when you are in the Walsenberg / La Veta area.

There are dozens of hiking suggestions in the book "The Essential Guide to Great Sand Dunes National Park & Preserve"

See www.GreatSandDunes.info for more about that guidebook, and other suggestions for things to do in that area.

If you are strong hikers, you might even consider climbing West Spanish Peak by La Veta. It is quite strenuous, however, so be sure you've had time to adjust to the elevation before attempting it.

6. Re: Hiking in Walsenburg and Ouray areas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 12:23
Get answers to your questions about Walsenburg
Recent Conversations