We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Explain Mary Jane, Please!!

Which Winter Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denton, Texas
Level Contributor
46 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Explain Mary Jane, Please!!

Ok, I have never skiied before and my husband and I have a trip planned March 19-23rd. We're staying at a new place, Frasers Crossing/Founders Pointe, which looks nice from what I was able to find on it. Is Mary Jane part of a moutain peak, a moutain itself, or a trail on a mountain? What is ski in ski out? I would like to not look so lost while we are there! Thanks a bunch for any info you can give this novice skier.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Explain Mary Jane, Please!!

Ski in - ski out, means you do not have to drive your car to the mountain. You can walk / ski to the lifts from your condo. It also usually means you are paying a lot more per night for that convenience.

Mary Jane is one of the mountains that is part of the overall Winter Park ski area. Generally the "Winter Park" mountain are the easier runs.

Mary Jane is another part of the mountain and has more Intermediate to Advanced runs. If you are a novice skiier, I would be cautions of the Mary Jane side of the mountain. There is also a run called "Mary Jane", which is an intermediate run. To get to the Mary Jane run, there is a very steep, narrow section to start out that freaks out most beginners. Once you get beyond that section, Mary Jane is a great intermediate run.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
26 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Explain Mary Jane, Please!!

Frasers Crossing/Founders Pointe is a new condo development that is just across the street from the ski lifts, ski school, and other facilities at the Winter Park ski area. It has been open only a few weeks and looks really nice!

skiwinterpark.com/todo/village/maps/village-…

You will be able to walk out the front door, across the street, and a couple hundred yards farther to rent your equipment, enroll in ski school, etc. You will need to ride the town shuttle or drive your car if you want to go into the towns of Winter Park or Fraser for more restaurants and the grocery store, as there are only a couple of restaurants and coffee shops near your condo.

I agree that the Mary Jane side does not have much in the way of beginner skiing, and you will want to stick to the Winter Park side of the ski area until you are skiing confidently!

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Westminster...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Explain Mary Jane, Please!!

Since you're new, definitely take some lessons and stick to the beginner area for the first few days, if not your entire stay. You might be able to go out of the beginner area to a green run, but it depends how easily you pick it up (and other things like your athleticism and how in shape you are, etc).

When you're driving to Winter Park you'll pass by the turn in for Mary Jane, but won't be able to see much if anything. Just forget about it for this trip since it's for advanced skiers.

This is mostly for others looking for information about Mary Jane, since the original poster is a new skier:

Mary Jane is also well known for their runs full of moguls. There are a few of the main pathways that don't have bumps on them, but all the blacks and blue-blacks and some blues do. If you're in to bumps, you should definitely check it out.

Colorado
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Explain Mary Jane, Please!!

I agree with Mecu. Mary Jane is part of the mountian that if you a new skier I would avoid. If you make a wrong turn you will end up on a run that could turn you off of skiing. Winter Park has some great greens and a really good ski school

Denton, Texas
Level Contributor
46 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Explain Mary Jane, Please!!

Thanks to everyone for the info. Another question I had was answered by Mecu and it was if you think I would be able to ski outside the beginners area. Is there any slope at all to the beginners area? I guess I will have to wait and see how well I do. Thanks again!

Westminster...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Explain Mary Jane, Please!!

Of course there's a slope in the beginners area. It is still downhill skiing. It's just not as steep as other runs. There can even be a difference between green runs on how steep they are. Be aware, if you go up the mountain to the beginner area, taking Parkway down gets very steep (for a beginner) and has a very narrow section (for a beginner), so if you're new to skiing you may want to take the lift down. If you go up with a ski school, the instructor will offer to take you down this method at the end of the lesson (or for lunch break) which I would strongly recommend. When I took snowboarding lessons after 12 years of skiing, I took it down and the steepness didn't scare me, but being on a snowboard and learning, the narrow part was scary and hard with other people falling and speedsters whipping by me. You could walk down as an option as well if you wanted to try it but it got too hard for you. There's nothing wrong with walking. It shows you are very smart and know your limits and are willing to stay within them until your ability allows you to ski/board it. I've walked down several times on many blacks years ago. I've gone back later and gone down them and feel a sense of accomplishment that I could now do it. Just focus on having fun; the rest is irrelevant.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Explain Mary Jane, Please!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks one or two of the green runs coming down from Winter Park are a little steep. The Discovery Park area is too easy for me, but part of the area coming down from Winter Park is a little daunting. Of course I go with my boyfriend who can ski pretty much anything and he tells me its all in my head (which it is mostly) but I like someone else's confirmation that the green run --March Hare or White Rabbit, or somehting like that is pretty steep for a beginner. This was our second trip to Winter Park and I have to admit I did much better this time, although I still stuck to the greens.

Denton, Texas
Level Contributor
46 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Explain Mary Jane, Please!!

Mecu, is Parkway one of the beginner trails? If so, I should avoid it because it would be a little too steep/narrow for me, right? So, are the beginner trails/area not at the bottom? Just wondering because you mentioned something about taking the lift down or walking down if I was unsure. Sorry for all the questions, I probably just need to wait and see what it's all about when I get there. It will probably make more sense then! Thanks for everyone's input, it has been very helpful.

Denton, Texas
Level Contributor
46 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Explain Mary Jane, Please!!

One more thing, I promise! What do you suggest I do if I get on a beginner's run and realize it's too difficult for me? Can I just continue down walking or is it too late by that point?

Texas
Level Contributor
167 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Explain Mary Jane, Please!!

My suggestion is that nobody is timing you. Take your sweet time. If a section looks daunting, just stop, scope it out, and do another section. I have done a few blacks (mostly by accident)and I just take my time.

I have skied Winter Park many times, and I really like Vasquez for its greens.

As a fellow Texan, believe me that anyone from CO will think you are lost the minute you open your mouth. :)