We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Copper vs. Winter Park vs. Beaver Creek?

C M
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
40 posts
337 reviews
Save Topic
Copper vs. Winter Park vs. Beaver Creek?

Hi All, we've got 3 kids ages 13,7 and 5. We are from Florida, so mostly beginner skiers. We've gone to Copper the last 3 years and found it to be kid friendly and good ski instructors/ski school. We have always stayed somewhere very close to a lift so we didn't have to drag our skis far or have to get on a shuttle dragging our skis and our kids. This year we are entertaining a change. Winter Park, Beaver Creek, Keystone? Any other suggestions? We are looking for an easy kid friendly place w good ski school. We already bought our tickets to Denver for 5 days mid March.

We checked out Breck last year for a day trip and didn't like it. It was extremely busy and seemed chaotic. So that one is out.

If we can't find a good place that we'd like to experiment with, we'll just do Copper again, but we'd really like a change!

Thanks!

C

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Copper vs. Winter Park vs. Beaver Creek?

If you liked Copper, I think you will find Beaver Creek more similar to what you found there. Winter Park is, in my opinion, a great and fun ski hill and though small at least Winter Park is a real town, not an artificial community. But the entirety of the resort experience gets better attention to detail at Beaver Creek.

As for the ski school, I can attest for Winter Park's being good and am unable to report from personal knowledge about Beaver Creek. But I honestly can't imagine them being anything but a quality offering there as well given everything else I know about the rest of the place.

Keystone is also a fine resort, and very popular with families for the very things you are looking for -- lodging close to lifts, good ski school, nice assortment of runs. It is also close to town. And, I will add one more think I think you will like about Keystone, if you stay with them your tickets will also be good at A-Basin (just 10 minutes away) and Breckenridge and give you an option of either Beaver Creek or Vail for a day.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
29 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Copper vs. Winter Park vs. Beaver Creek?

Out of those three I would go with Winter Park for sure. It is actually the biggest of the three mountains and the closest to Denver. Winter Park has a ton of beginner/intermediate acreage. The ski school is way over priced but that is just the nature of the business these days. Make sure you show up early because it takes forever to check the kids in...an extremely inefficient process.

If you didn't like Breckenridge then Keystone is the red headed step child in that area. It gets very icy and seems very congested. If money is no object I would choose Vail. Beaver Creek is part of Vail so you could shuttle over there if you wanted to check it out.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,205 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Copper vs. Winter Park vs. Beaver Creek?

Beaver Creek is definitely an upscale version of Copper. To take full advantage, you definitely need to stay in the main village. Hyatt is a great choice if you can swing it. The resort village at Winter Park Resort (not the town of Winter Park) is another great choice and similar to Copper. I think it's a bit more attractive but not same level as Beaver Creek.

Have fun.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Copper vs. Winter Park vs. Beaver Creek?

If $$ not an issue go with Beaver Creek. The beginner area is outstanding. Amenities are tops.

5. Re: Copper vs. Winter Park vs. Beaver Creek?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 March 2014, 16:05
m n
Tulsa, Oklahoma
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Copper vs. Winter Park vs. Beaver Creek?

Florida family man here. I and my family learned at Winter Park over several season. It is actually a rather large ski area. Good trails for beginner at base of slopes. Love the blue runs there. i highly recommend it.

Stockport England
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Copper vs. Winter Park vs. Beaver Creek?

Winter park us great, and charming. We had a great time there having previously been to Vail.

Beaver creek is more upmarket and expensive but we lived everything about WP, highly recommend

Level Contributor
1 post
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Copper vs. Winter Park vs. Beaver Creek?

CM,

I am a fellow Floridian and my wife and I would like to bring our 4 year old son out west for skiing. Can you recommend places to stay, eat and rental places in Copper Village?

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,601 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Copper vs. Winter Park vs. Beaver Creek?

Hi Prowler - welcome to the forums. You really should start a new thread in the Copper Mountain forum with your questions rather than attaching this to a very old post in the Winter Park forum.

Edited: 13 August 2014, 22:48
10. Re: Copper vs. Winter Park vs. Beaver Creek?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2015, 05:16