We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

local transport - timetables? bus numbers? routes?

2 posts
Save Topic
local transport - timetables? bus numbers? routes?

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has any info on the local buses available in Kathmandu. Is it possible to a find a comprehensive table on where particular buses go, where they stop, how long it takes to get frompoint A to B, etc.? I'm looking for general information on how to get around the city.

Cheers!

Level Contributor
65 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: local transport - timetables? bus numbers? routes?

Hi their,

With in city local buses or public transport leaves every 15-30-45-60 min interval. There is no any webpage for its time schedule.

Getting to major tourist site by public transport with in ktm could take 30-60 min without traffic.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: local transport - timetables? bus numbers? routes?

To find the public places you can get it on every 15 to 30 minute.If you would like to visit some heritage site or some sight seeing places you can contact any agency. They operate with joining basis tourist buses every morning.

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: local transport - timetables? bus numbers? routes?

"I'm wondering if anyone has any info on the local buses available in Kathmandu. Is it possible to a find a comprehensive table on where particular buses go, where they stop, how long it takes to get frompoint A to B, etc.?"

In short 'No' unless you speak Nepali. Personally I've found the bus station utterly confusing, and manageable only when I've been with Nepalese friends.

"I'm looking for general information on how to get around the city"

I've used walking (Kathmandu is not a huge city), hiring a bike (and it's a fairly flat city), using taxis.(more expensive than buses, but still fairly cheap, and generally possible to make yourself understood)

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
8,511 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: local transport - timetables? bus numbers? routes?

Hello lysse

I'm not aware of any comprehensive information source about about buses and, like Alan, I use a variety of methods depending on the journey. Some of the sights are walkable from central KTM and Thamel (eg Durbar Square and Swayambunath) and taxis are convenient for some others that are further away. Buses are cheaper of course and the hotel should be able to tell you where to get buses for places such as Bhaktapur.

The tourist bus mentioned by Alrounder might work for you. I haven't heard about this before so maybe he will be kind enough to give more details - cost, pick up point etc...

scoodly

5. Re: local transport - timetables? bus numbers? routes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 December 2013, 10:13
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: local transport - timetables? bus numbers? routes?

Hello again,

thank you for you're answers. Sort of had a suspicion that if any timetable existed, it could be in Nepali, hah. I'll be moving to Kathmandu for a few months, and am just trying to pinpoint how long it would take me to get from this street to that street, this area to that area - so not necessarily to the tourist attractions.

I'm planning to rent an apartment on spot and am trying to figure out how long it would get me from there to place X, etc (for example - Lazimpat to Patan). On Google maps you can see bus stops around the city - do they function, most of them? I'm trying to create a timeframe, more or less, of how long I would be devoting to commuting. Ofc, walking distance would be nice, but maybe that won't be possible. More specifically - I'm searching fr info on those bus stops, not Ratna park station.

But, summing up, if I stand on a bus stop, something should appear within those 15 min? :)

Cheers!

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: local transport - timetables? bus numbers? routes?

I don't like your chances

don't think about it till you get there

it will be easy to work out what to do when you are there

getting around wont be a problem

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
4,912 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: local transport - timetables? bus numbers? routes?

Busses are useful for the suburbs and outlying villages. Most of those busses leave from Ratna Park, or from Lagankhel in Patan (reached by a first minibus).

9. Re: local transport - timetables? bus numbers? routes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Kathmandu Valley