We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday brunch and horseback riding suggestions in Danbury

Montreal, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Sunday brunch and horseback riding suggestions in Danbury

Hi,

My best friend and I (30-something women) are spending the weekend in Danbury this October, and we're looking for the best Sunday brunch spot in town, as well as the best place to "rent" horses/go horseback riding.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

UMH

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday brunch and horseback riding suggestions in Danbury

You couldn't find a public riding stable in CT if you tried. They all closed down more than 20 years ago. You won't find one anywhere. Insurance rates killed the business. It's a shame. Sorry.... I love riding as well.....

Montreal, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday brunch and horseback riding suggestions in Danbury

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I'm not familiar with the lingo - does "public riding stable" mean no guided rides as well? Or is there a place where we can at least get a guided ride.

Sad news that there's nowhere we can go out on our own.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday brunch and horseback riding suggestions in Danbury

Yes, it does. There isn't any place in the entire state that I'm aware of that will rent you a horse to ride, whether in an arena or on a guided (or unguided) trail ride.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday brunch and horseback riding suggestions in Danbury

The only place I'm aware of is Rocking Horse Ranch near New Paltz, NY but I'm not sure this is what you're looking for. In the name of trying to be helpful.... wwww.rockinghorseranch.com

Connecticut
Level Contributor
352 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday brunch and horseback riding suggestions in Danbury

Try B&R stables in Prospect, CT 203-758-5031. You must call them directly and discuss what you want. They do trail rides but you need to make arrangements in advance. As for brunch, since you are near Danbury, you may want to check out Kings in Newtown. It has gotten mixed reviews here on TA, but their Sunday Brunch menu gives a lot of choices not found elsewhere and I eat there often on weekends. Most offerings are @ $10.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday brunch and horseback riding suggestions in Danbury

There are definitely places to ride in Connecticut..but 1st let me plainly ask you this....can all in your party ride ? And if you ALL ride...do you ride English or Western.

If your party dosen't ride --you will have a tough time getting anyone to rent you horses for a trail ride....Because of the insurance... You could get a lesson though for a hour

There are not many places that offer rentals at all--and NONE thast allow you to go out alone.

Edited: 05 September 2011, 19:12
Montreal, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunday brunch and horseback riding suggestions in Danbury

Thank you soooo much for all your help, I really appreciate it. This is exactly what we're looking for, except that I believe riding is only open to people staying at the hotel, and we have to stay in Danbury.

But I will call to double check.

Thanks again,

UMH

Montreal, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunday brunch and horseback riding suggestions in Danbury

Sorry, I'm mew to TA and not yet savvy with the site, my last thank you was to sasha57, and then I noticed I had 2 other posts!

To JeannefromCT, I'll try B&R stables, and thanks for the brunch recommendation!

WanttoTrave: we ride Western, but we're not that experienced. We'd happily accept a guided trail ride, if that's the norm. Don't really want a lesson, because we'll spend the time standing still and not moving through the trails. Maybe we need to give up on riding for this trip, or see if there's anything in NY.

Thanks.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunday brunch and horseback riding suggestions in Danbury

New York has several stables for riding in the Pococnos and St. George and a few other places upstate....better chance for rentals there.....also new Hapshire and Vermont have some very nice rides.

Danbury and New York criss cross each other in the north western corner...might find something in that area of New York as well.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunday brunch and horseback riding suggestions in Danbury

New York...you must be able to ride to go on trails.

http://hollowbrookriding.com/About.php