We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to the Willamette Valley in August

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
687 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
First Trip to the Willamette Valley in August

Hi I am a long time wine guy, California wineries, Napa, Central coast, Temecula, San Diego...and it's time to visit Oregon, and do some of the wineries up there, Can anyone give me a list of can't miss wineries in the area. I will be there for three of four days and looking to set up some visits.

Thanks, also restaurant and B&B recommendations would be helpful as well!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,734 posts
1,029 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip to the Willamette Valley in August

Presumably you're flying into Portland?

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
687 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip to the Willamette Valley in August

Yes we are coming into portland, we may stay costal for a few days and then into the Valley

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip to the Willamette Valley in August

Just about any of the wineries in the Ribbon Ridge area NW of Newberg will give you a great experience -- quality wines and lovely views. Most will need appointments however -- Beaux Freres, Brick House, Styring and Trisaetum (usually open) are particular favorites. Sineann and Bergstrom, also N of Newberg will need appointments as well. Other good choices, most open without appointments, include Argyle, Stoller, Archery Summit, Domaine Drouhin, Adelsheim and Domaine Serene. You might want to visit Eyrie in McMinnville, where the late David Lett gave birth to Oregon pinot noir in the early '60s. The winery is in an industrial area of town, so no view, but the wines -- now produced by Jason Lett -- are still superb.

Lots of good restaurant choices. In Newberg, Painted Lady is one of the state's best; Subterra, Recipe and Jory at the Allison Inn & Spa are all first-rate. In Dundee, Red Hills Provincial Dining, Dundee Bistro, Tina's and Paulee are all quite good. Red Hills Market has lots of good stuff if you want to pack a picnic for a day in the vineyards. In McMinnville, we like Nick's Italian Café, Bistro Maison, Thistle and LaRambla. Red Fox Bakery has excellent baked goods.

Enjoy your time in Oregon's wine country. If you'd like other suggestions or have questions, feel free to PM me. There are some nice wineries in Polk County as well, but that may be more driving than you'd like if you're staying in Portland.

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
687 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Trip to the Willamette Valley in August

Thanks OregonJohn, this is exactly the type of information I was looking for...will do a trip report on my return

Level Contributor
34,236 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Trip to the Willamette Valley in August

We dined at Painted Lady last year, it was amazing! If you get over here to the coast, The Stephanie Inn is our favorite for fine dining. Make reservations for both of these restaurants. Have fun! :)

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
32 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Trip to the Willamette Valley in August

We are thinking of 5 days in williamette valley. We love wine. Is this too long? Would you recommend staying in one place or moving around? We are pinot noir focused..

Thanks

M

Level Contributor
34,236 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Trip to the Willamette Valley in August

Stay in one place! The Allison Inn & Spa is very nice. :).

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Trip to the Willamette Valley in August

Coyotetraveler,

You might get more responses if you start a thread of your own, and I'd want to know a few things before recommending if you stay in one place or not, but offhand I'd say yes, 5 days is too long in Willamette Valley wine country. Have you been to Oregon before, and have you already determined what wineries you'd like to visit?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,477 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Trip to the Willamette Valley in August

the focus of the Willamette wine district is just south of Portland, but the Willamette Valley stretches down through Lane County and, therefore, offers reasons for expanding your travels if seeing the coast or the mountains interests you. Wine districts also exist in the Columbia Gorge, the Umpqua Valley and the Rogue region in southern Oregon. So, 5 days may be too long, or too short, depending.....

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Trip to the Willamette Valley in August

Yes Coyote, you might want to start a new thread. But as a fellow "wine guy" I don't think 5 days is too much time for an area that has 200-plus wineries. When we go to Napa, Sonoma (also visit Mendocino County), Monterey/Carmel, Paso Robles/SLO and Santa Barbara County, we almost always stay a week. Car is loaded with boxes when we return to Oregon. :-)

Get answers to your questions about Willamette Valley