We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pomarico Italy

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Pomarico Italy

What is the easiest way to get to Pomarico? do you fly to Bari? Have you driven from Bari to Pomarico? It looks like the road may not be easily travelled? Any advice is welcomed!

7 replies to this topic
Potenza, Italy
Level Contributor
326 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pomarico Italy

Bari would be your closest plane connection with international connections. The road from Bari to Matera is good (recently updated in sections the past few years). Most of the way to Pomarico is good road until you get off the ss7 just before Pomarico, becomes a little curvy but nothing bad.

Train service to Pomarico is unavailable. You could do a couple bus connections but I recommend a car to get around here in Basilicata.

Be sure to spend some time in Matera and you will be close to the coast if you are here in the summer months.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pomarico Italy

Thank you so much for this information. It is exactly what I was looking for! When I looked at maps, it looked a little sketchy driving from Bari to Pomarico. My grandparents were from Pomarico and I've always wanted to see the town. Curious, do you live there or just know the area really well? Thanks again!

Potenza, Italy
Level Contributor
326 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pomarico Italy

We live here in Basilicata...and know the area really well ;)

My wife's grandparents were from this charming region.

Lower Lake...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Pomarico Italy

Driving is a whole new experience in Italy and I wouldn't recommend it for your first trip. If you're flying in to Rome, take the Leonardo DaVinci train to the main station in Rome. From there, you can take the train to the Ferrandina/Pomarico station. There are 2 that are direct, but mostly you'd need to change trains in Naples. You can get a cab from the Ferrandina station. Public transportation is readily available and fairly easy to use. If you're going to stay in Pomarico, I'd suggest the Colle di Sisto, which is an agriturismo. You will find the Pomaricani very friendly, especially once they know your nonni are from there. You may even find relatives. I found my 2nd cousins and go to visit them every other year. Next trip is in Sept

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
14 posts
487 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pomarico Italy

I hope you had fun in Pomarico. My family is from there and I just returned from a wedding held at the big church in town. It was amazing. I thought it was extremely easy to drive in the area. Bari is the easiest airport, but we flew in to Naples. I would recommend a driver in Naples (Umberto) because it's notoriously sketchy driving. But not from Bari, that's much easier. There was no traffic in Pomarico in early December and the countryside is beautiful.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pomarico Italy

My family, Scandiffio, is from there as well. Loved seeing it and meeting new relatives. One of our best trips ever. Beautiful church, St Michael the Archangel!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
14 posts
487 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pomarico Italy

I'm so glad you went. I'm going back for the third time. It fall in love each time. I highly recommend visiting in early May when the Feast of St. Michele Festival is happening. It's incredible!!!! Music in the streets and processions, etc. It's very lively and there is even more delicious food to eat. It's incredible to witness. I believe it goes on for 3, 4 or 5 days.

Reply to: Pomarico Italy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pomarico
Recent Conversations