We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trian into the city

Which Greenwich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
355 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Trian into the city

Just from looking at the map, it appears that Greenwich might be the best choice for parking the car to take the train over to the city. Is this true? Also, looking for suggestons for hotels close proximity to the train station.. $150 range or less... We are making a trip Thanksgiivng week and also wondering would the Christmas decorations and store windows be open before Thanksgiving? All suggestions welcome.. The plan is to fly into Providence, drive down the coast along a scenic route, take the train in to the city for a day,maybe two, before heading back to catch our flight on Thanksgiving day... Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
355 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trian into the city

That title should read-Train in to the city !!!!!

NY, NY
Level Contributor
339 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trian into the city

FYi, re Metro-North station parking. Depending on the days you plan to take the train, parking might be a challenge. Some stations have mostly permit parking, and little or no transient/casual parking. Yo may want to look up the Greenwich Metro-North station specifically and contact the parking operator if the info is unclear. Here is general parking info:

www.mta.info/mnr/html/yankees/parking1.pdf

I think some dept. store window decorations are in place before Thanksgiving, but you should call those you are interested in and check. Rockefeller Center is not lighting the tree until Nov. 30. I don't know about hotels in Greenwich. There are some in Stamford within walking distance of the train and I recall one or two others used to provide shuttle service.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
339 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trian into the city

travelmoreMacon,

I saw your question to me on another thread. As noted above, I would not be overconfident that parking at a station will be easy to find on a workday. Metro-North is a commuter line, and many of the stations have parking primarily to accomodate the commuting customers, and often a very large portion is reserved for commuters with permits on weekdays.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
124 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trian into the city

There are spots designated as day parking for the Greenwich station. But they do fill up quickly and early. Day spots are available at Cos Cob station (a short walk).

There is a Hyatt in Old Greenwich. The rate can vary tremendously depending on what kind of deal you can find. But it is not near the train station.

Many Xmas decorations will be up by Thanksgiving. The interiors of major stores should be decked out. Some windows will be done. The Rockefeller Center tree will probably NOT be up until the first week of December.

Reply to: Trian into the city
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted