We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Conditions in Jan

Which Hartford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Road Conditions in Jan

My husband and I are planning a trip to CT during the second week of January. We will be flying into JFK and then driving to Colebrook/Winchester. We also have family in Farmington. We plan to go up to Woodbury and Sundown in New Hartford. We may even head up to southern VT. How are the road conditions in most areas at this time of year? Will we do OK with 2-wheel drive (I am going to try to rent a car that has front-wheel drive).

Also, does anyone know of a place that rents snowmobiles, AND provides guided snowmobile tours in northern or western CT?

mucho thanks!

mel

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Conditions in Jan

We do get ice and snow but take care of the roads well. Just do not attempt to drive if we are having a storm and you will be ok. Let the storm pass and give us time to clear the roads and you will be fine.

You never know it is possible that we do not even have snow yet in the second week of January so you may be worried about nothing.

As for Snowmobile tours, I am not familiar with any around here. They do them in Vermont and New Hampshire though.

We can have no snow here and it could be covered in VT/NH. If you want to see snow plan to go north and you will be happy.

Enfield, Connecticut
Level Contributor
175 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Conditions in Jan

As sunryz said it is hard to predict January. There may be snow on the ground, flurries (a dusting) or even a storm during your stay. Just keep an eye on the weather, and listen to a local station WTIC or WFSB (both in CT). A front wheel drive car is advisable. Sorry I don't know anything about renting snowmobiles.

3. Re: Road Conditions in Jan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2010, 05:24