We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Hartford should I take Logan, JFK or Newark?

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
From Hartford should I take Logan, JFK or Newark?

Hi, I am going to be in CT on business in Feb and I am trying to book my return flight to London, I plan to visit Greenwich, Hartford and New Haven and will hire a car. I have been to the area before but I have a few questions and would be grateful for any advice:

1. I am coming from New York to CT - should I hire a car in Manhattan and drive out, or get the train, perhaps to New Haven and hire a car there?

2. I was planning to stay 2 nights in Greenwich where I can get a good rate at The Delamar. Would this itinerary work:

early train from NYC to New Haven

collect hire car, sales calls in New Haven area, drive to Hartford

afternoon in Hartford

4.30pm (approx) drive from Hartford to Greenwich

overnight Greenwich

My 2nd day would all be in the Greenwich area

3. Based on finishing in Greenwich, which airport should I use to get back to London - JFK, Newark or Logan... would it be nightmare to drive myself to the airport or should I return the hire car (in Greenwich if possible) and take a cab?

4. Is the supplement huge to return a hire car to a different Hertz office (hertz as I need Neverlost!)

Thanks for your ideas and feedback.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
678 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Hartford should I take Logan, JFK or Newark?

New Haven is about a 90 minute car ride from Manhatten depending on traffic. You can rent a car and drive, or take Metro-North commuter train from Grand Central station right into New Haven. As for Hartford, I assume you have business here? Otherwise you are going out of your way. From New Haven you can take Amtrak to Hartford, a bus, or rent a car. The Amtrak schedule can be tricky. You are about 30-45 minutes from downtown Hartford. Hartford to Greenwich is about 2 hours, you are almost back in New York by then. I would suggest flying out of JFK as I believe it will be closer than Newark and if you are driving easier to find.

I believe hiring a driver would be very expensive, but it can be done through various executive/limo companies. Perhaps taking the train to New Haven and then renting a car there and returning it to JFK would work for you. Driving in CT is not difficult.....the traffic can be tough but New Haven to Hartford is a straight shot up Interstate 91 North and Hartford to Greenwich is Interstate 91 South to Interstate 95 South..easy. Greenwich to JFK should be no problem with good directions. Alternatively, drop the car in Greenwich and hire a driver to JFK.

I do not know the rates for renting a car in one place and dropping it in another...perhaps Hertz has that on their website.

Edited: 12 January 2010, 02:28
London
Level Contributor
20 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Hartford should I take Logan, JFK or Newark?

Thanks for your helpful comments aedrbf

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
757 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Hartford should I take Logan, JFK or Newark?

I second picking up the car in New Haven as the rentals from the airport tend to be about 2x as much per day. I'm not sure for Hertz, but it is problem for dropping a rental off at another location often as the drop off charge can be quite high (I've been quoted a high as 250 dollars). Probably dropping the rental off back in New Haven and then taking the same metro north back to Grand Central should be better. Also, the train to the airport is finished now, so you don't need a driver or a taxi necessarily, depending on your time and who is paying :).

http://www.mta.info/mta/airtrain.htm

Connecticut
Level Contributor
678 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Hartford should I take Logan, JFK or Newark?

Another idea...take the Metro-North train from Manhatten to New Haven, rent a car in New Haven, drive to Hartford, return to New Haven and drop the car and take a Metro-North train to Greenwich. I think you can do this..check the Metro-North web page http://mta.info/mta/schedules.htm From Greenwich you can hire a driver to the airport. You cna also take Metro_North back to Grand Central and then get to the airport..I am not familiar with the trains that may go from Manhatten to JFK. Check the link on the previous post for that. Good Luck. By the way...there are GREAT Pizza places in New Haven..check the restaurant forums for details. In Hartford, if you want a place for a great business dinner(or special occasion) check the Max Restaurant Group..locally owned restaurants all good. Max Downtown is the flaship of the group.

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Hartford should I take Logan, JFK or Newark?

Thanks so much everyone, I think the idea of picking up and dropping off in New Haven is a good one, then heading back to Manhattan for the train to the airport - would love to see how easy that is.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and I look forward to trying some of the restaurants you mentioned too.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
124 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Hartford should I take Logan, JFK or Newark?

"early train from NYC to New Haven

collect hire car, sales calls in New Haven area, drive to Hartford

afternoon in Hartford

4.30pm (approx) drive from Hartford to Greenwich

overnight Greenwich"

Do I understand correctly that this would all be on the day you arrive Europe? How long might your sales calls in New Haven be? It sounds like a very, very ambitious, exhausting itinerary.

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Hartford should I take Logan, JFK or Newark?

Hi Judy, thanks for your message. No, I will arrive the week previously into Miami, then Jacksonville, Atlanta, then 5 days New York and finish with 2 days in CT, so a pretty exhausting 10 days really. So no jet lag in CT, it will be the home stretch.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
54 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Hartford should I take Logan, JFK or Newark?

Depending on who is paying, I believe that your easiest way to go is to rent at the airport and drive to all the places you are talking about. You will lose a lot of time getting to/from train station, waiting for trains, etc. The idea of renting in New Haven is good - only if the rental car agency is located at/near the train stations. You will still be losing quite a bit of time by taking the train from the airport into Manhattan and then catching a different train to New Haven.

Have you considered flying into/out of Hartford and renting a car there? Bradley airport (BDL) is about 15 easy minutes from Hartford and the airport is easier to get in and out of then any of the New York airports. then you could drive down to Greenwich if you needed to. Just a thought.

Edited: 17 January 2010, 14:30
hartford
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: From Hartford should I take Logan, JFK or Newark?

Don't get a car service in New York. They are much more expensive then a car service in CT. NY = higher price most of the time. Flying into the airport and taxi'ing over to the grand central is a hassle.

Best bet, take a car service from CT, I can recommend a great one for you which is a brand new service in CT. This company is low on rates for the service they provide and out of hartford area. Brand new car and totally luxurious and comfortable. WII FII internet is available for the ride back to CT if you have a computer which most other companies will not offer and if they do they charge extra, with water, and comfortable seating. The cars are the best around, the best model that Lexus has for similar pricing to a lincoln town car. Door to Door from NY back to wherever in CT. Brand new cars. Not the typical uncomfortable lincoln town car or worrying about a company w/ beat up old cars that who knows if they are safe.

So if you need that info, shoot me an message on here or reply back here and i'll gladly recommend if you're looking for a car service that will 100% for sure be there in NY for you.

And if you are going to be in the greenwich area, Fly out of JFK if you can, they tend to have the best options and best pricing on fares. Newark is comparable to JFK with rates and choices of schedules. Both are about the same drive and neither is more of a hassle than the other. I would higly recommend a car service back to the airport rather then train, rent cars and all that nonsense on flight day. Boston is VERY expensive usually and limited choices of flights.

Edited: 20 January 2010, 09:10
10. Re: From Hartford should I take Logan, JFK or Newark?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2010, 07:17