We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midpoint between Boston & New York for car rental/transit

Which Hartford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Midpoint between Boston & New York for car rental/transit

This time next month I'll be in NYC. I want to do a trip (in this order) to Boston, Cape Cod, Acadia National Park, Northern Vermont and then come back down through Vermont. Original plan was to take train/bus to Boston, then rent a car when we are ready to leave Boston, then do all the other areas for 10 days, dropping the car back in NYC. Problem is that dropping the car off at JFK on our last day is more than double the price of dropping the car off back in Boston! I don't want to backtrack to Boston so looking for somewhere in Connecticut that has good public transportation links to JFK, Manhattan and Boston. That way we can rent & drop off the car in the same place. Will Hartford work? Any other ideas?

Hartford
Destination Expert
for Hartford
Level Contributor
881 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Midpoint between Boston & New York for car rental/transit

Hartford has frequent bus service http://www.peterpanbus.com/ but trains are pretty infrequent. You would need to take AMTRAK www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer… to New York and its not practical to take a bus to Boston. I'd consider New Haven which in addition to bus and AMTRAK is serviced by Metro North railroad which has more frequent trips to New York. as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm You could also use CT Limo (really a bus) for trips directly to the airport instead of downtown New York http://www.ctlimo.com/

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Midpoint between Boston & New York for car rental/transit

If your going back to New York--Fairfield would be better for renting a car than Hartford may be...Its because of areas.and rates. If you were taking a plane from Bradley-Hartford may would work...but anything in and out or around New York-- Fairfield will be better.

Fairfield Ct. has Hertz , Enterprise and a few other places to rent cars. They often offer unlimited milege.

Travel to Boston , the Cape will be no problem...but you may pay more for Vermont or Maine if thats the Arcadia Park your thinking about going to ....I am not sure......but the tri State and Mass. will be no problem for unlimited miles.

Do youself a favor and consider joining AAA if you are not a member yet....you can get a even better rental rate belonoging to this organization...plus of your talking about this sort of car travel it will be good to have in case of any issues while on the road.

The shuttle to the airport also leaves from Fairfield ( Ct. Limo ) not more than 5 to 10 minutes from the car rental places and there is also a company called Prime Time which you could have pick you up at the car rental place if you know exactly when you'll be there...and will be ready to go.

You can also drop off the rental at JFK or LAGUARDIA airport...the charge will be at least $100 additionial for the drop off...but will also incure a higher daily cost as well in many cases.

Edited: 13 August 2011, 22:13
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Midpoint between Boston & New York for car rental/transit

from nyc, cc is a better first stop than boston. Also, really biting off a lot of ground which you may regret as opposed to spending some time in the places you are visiting. you will spend a lot of time driving to Acadia and then over to Vt (east west roads in northern new england are all slow speed.) do yourself a favor and just get the car in NY and don't worry about it.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Midpoint between Boston & New York for car rental/transit

Thanks for the replies. I've decided to change the order - starting with Cape Cod, then up to Boston (where we will stay in a hotel that has free parking) and then onwards, returning via the Green Mountains. That means I only need a place that has good transport to Manhattan and JFK. I will get the train out, rent the car & then travel onwards from there, returning to the same place & then onwards to JFK. I'm now looking at Stamford as an option as it seems to have goo rail links with NYC - any opinions on that?

5. Re: Midpoint between Boston & New York for car rental/transit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2011, 20:47
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Midpoint between Boston & New York for car rental/transit

what hotel in Boston has free parking or are you staying outside the city and taking the T in?

7. Re: Midpoint between Boston & New York for car rental/transit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 03:17