We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route to drive from Hartford to Manhattan Thursday afternoon

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,983 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Route to drive from Hartford to Manhattan Thursday afternoon

I tried to get the NY state forum to respond but did not hear back. I hope someone from Hartford can help.

We are planning to drive around 2 pm on a Thursday afternoon the week before Christmas to Mid-town at the start our NYC vacation. Will drop off the car near Times Sq.

Which highway route would you suggest based on the options that Google maps provides. Based on drive times, in gmaps it will put us in NYC around 4.30ish. Any roadwork or issues we need to take into account ?

http://goo.gl/maps/PJHNM

Thanks

Hartford
Destination Expert
for Hartford
Level Contributor
935 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route to drive from Hartford to Manhattan Thursday afternoon

I-91 to I-95 then 9A- West Side Highway

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,983 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route to drive from Hartford to Manhattan Thursday afternoon

Thanks a lot @brookerme

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,447 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route to drive from Hartford to Manhattan Thursday afternoon

I usually take the Merritt Parkway rather than 95 but either works.

Southbury...
Level Contributor
87 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route to drive from Hartford to Manhattan Thursday afternoon

Third opinion. We use the I-84 to I-684 to the Hutch/Cross County Pkwy to 9A. But then we're coming from western CT. I commute to/fro Hartford to sw CT every day and in my experience, chances are you will see less traffic on I-84 between 2 &4 pm than on I-95 or the Merritt.

Edited: 10 December 2012, 19:54
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route to drive from Hartford to Manhattan Thursday afternoon

I would have all 3 routes available to you- listen to a traffic report before you get on the road and go. only other issue could be weather. there is the occasional early snow in which case I would stay off of Merritt. As a general rule, I always take the merritt- just a nicer drive.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,983 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route to drive from Hartford to Manhattan Thursday afternoon

Got it. I'll check google maps realtime traffic just when we leave and see what's going on though perhaps the traffic will build up closer to 4 than to 2pm. Many years ago I used to do the Danbury to JFK route twice a month and got used to that route.

Hello Archiemom I recall you posting about Uber as your son was working there -- LOL small world. They have caught on with the people but not necessarily with the authorities.

Edited: 10 December 2012, 22:34
New York,NY
Level Contributor
44 posts
573 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route to drive from Hartford to Manhattan Thursday afternoon

91 SOUTH to Merritt Parkway

Merritt parkway turns into Hutchinson Parkway

Hutchinson Parkway to Cross County Parkway

Cross County Parkway to Saw Mill Parkway

Saw Mill Parkway turns into West Side Highway

This is the best way with the least traffic. 95 is an absolute nightmare at times especially in Connecticut from New Haven to the state line. The Bronx is horrible as well as 4 to 5 highways all merge to cross the George Washington Bridge. AVOID 95 in the Bronx. The directions sound complicated but its actually very easy. I grew up in CT and now I live in NYC. However i commute to CT everyday for work.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,983 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Route to drive from Hartford to Manhattan Thursday afternoon

Thanks @JS They match the route 1 in the google maps I posted so that is fine. No worries. The part I was worried about was exactly the sections on the NY side so appreciate that.

Happy Holidays all. I look forward to visiting you state again. I remember spending Christmas with family in Seymour CT in 1987 and how beautiful the roads in CT were after a snowfall.

Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Route to drive from Hartford to Manhattan Thursday afternoon

Another vote for the Merritt & JS Bronx route. I drove from Northeastern CT to Washington DC regularly and also took this route for that portion of the trip.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,983 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Route to drive from Hartford to Manhattan Thursday afternoon

Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of the deceased at the Sandy Hook school.