We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from BDL to Hartford

Which Hartford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
110 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from BDL to Hartford

I'm tentatively planning to fly into BDL and renting a car for a trip to Northampton. But after returning the car to the airport in the late afternoon, I will need to get to downtown Hartford. I've looked at many websites, and all I can find that is reasonably priced is a city bus with no room for my luggage. I'm a woman traveling alone and would rather not have to navigate steps on a bus and juggling a 24" suitcase plus a back pack by myself. Are there any other alternatives that don't cost a fortune?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from BDL to Hartford

We really do not have very good mass transit in CT. The best option in my opinion would be for you to grab a cab. That is what I would do.

California
Level Contributor
110 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from BDL to Hartford

Thanks for your answer. Do you know what the cab fare would be (approximately)?

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from BDL to Hartford

Based on the Bradley website, it will be $45 for the cab to Hartford from Bradley which is outrageous. Can you return the car in Hartford instead?

California
Level Contributor
110 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from BDL to Hartford

Yes, I can return the car in downtown Hartford....for a $58 drop off fee! I'm disgusted!

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from BDL to Hartford

www.bradleyairport.com/Transport/limo.aspx

The other option would be to call a limo service from the link above but I think the taxi is probably going to be the cheapest (other than the bus). CT is not a great state for public transportation as you can clearly see. Its only about 12 miles from Bradley to downtown Hartford but you can't get there that easy.

Where are you going in Hartford? Perhaps call them and see if they have other ideas.

1 alternative (if you can get from car agency to Windsor Locks Train Station) would be to take Amtrak to Hartford then cab it to your final destination. But times for this are pretty scattered as well and you would be carrying your luggage. Its $5 from Windsor Locks to Hartford on the train.

California
Level Contributor
110 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from BDL to Hartford

Thanks for all your great ideas. I will be visiting friends who live in Cheshire and asked them to pick me up at the airport. I had wanted to get to Hartford where my friend works to make it easier for him. If he can't pick me up, I'll just have to suck it up and pay for a cab.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from BDL to Hartford

definitely would be best if he could pick you up that afternoon.

8. Re: Transportation from BDL to Hartford

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2014, 06:20