We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic drive from Troy,NY?

Which Hartford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
716 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic drive from Troy,NY?

Hi, we are making a roadtrip in september. We were planning to drive from Troy to the Hartford area via the most scenic drive. I did some Google Mapping and had 3 options:

1) From Troy-Mohawk Trail to Gardner,MA and down to Spencer, MA....Hartford.

2) From Troy-Mohawk Trail to Athol,MA and down via 32A to Hardwick,MA-Ware,MA-Hampden,MA-Hartford.

3)From Troy-Mohawk Trail to Orange,MA and down the 202S to Holyoke and pick up the 5S to Hartford.

What would be the best(most scenic) option in your opinion? We love to drive, and stop every now and then in a town to walk around and do some shopping/eating. We also like easy to moderate hikes.

Considering the distance,we could easily drive this in one day.

Thank you for your time!

Enfield, Connecticut
Level Contributor
175 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic drive from Troy,NY?

Distance wise #3 is probably shortest. If you take Route 2, the Mohawk Trail stop off places include North Adams, Mt. Greylock area, apple/farm stands along the way. You can catch Route 5 in Greenfield (which you can explore) and take it all the way to Hartford. It is a nice enough road and parallels 91 if you want to jump on it to save time. Yankee Candle is on Route 5, and Magic Wings Butterfly Conservatory. You can stop in Northampton and check it out (Smith College has a botanic garden you can walk through, Child's Park, Herrells ice cream, a variety of restaurants). After Holyoke the road becomes a dual lane road with lights through the Springfield area (there is a slight detour around a rotary due to bridge work), then in Longmeadow Route 5 becomes rural again. The road is both single lane/dual lane, lights). This route will give you quite a bit of variety of things to do and see.

For scenic #1.

Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
716 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic drive from Troy,NY?

Thank you for the reply, iamaroamer!

The Mohawk Trail looks realy beautiful, and we decided we want to spent as much time on it as possible. What is your opinion on this route:

http://goo.gl/maps/NPHe6

It's only 200 miles, which we easily can drive in one day, and we're coming in september so the detour in Springfield will begone...i hope ;-))

Again, thank you very much for your help.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
199 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic drive from Troy,NY?

I'll weigh in with some suggestions even though so late to the party. Your revised idea is very good but it seems too bad to follow Route 2 past Greenfield without first a detour to Old Deerfield. This is a very historic spot in New England history and has been beautifully preserved, not only the village itself but the lovely agricultural setting. However it would require a detour off your intended route. You would want to stop at picturesque Shelburne Falls, anyway, which is just off Route 2 west of Greenfield. From there you could follow country roads down to Deerfield and then shoot back up to Route 2 on U. S. 5. Even the combination of state routes 112 and 116 from Shelburne Falls through Conway and Ashfield to Deerfield is really lovely. I like your idea of taking 2 as far as 202 and taking that southwesterly toward Amherst. In Amherst itself the north-south road to the east of the town center is very pretty, as is Bay Road in South Amherst. So, rather than taking Leverett Road right into Route 116, I would turn left at Henry Street and then follow Northeast Street, Southeast St, and Middle St (all in a sequence) to Bay Road, where you turn right and head over to Route 47 which then meets up with MA Route 9 just east of the Coolidge Bridge. This is a much more scenic route through Amherst than what you have mapped. Amherst Center is a lively and interesting college town but how much can you do in a day especially if visiting Northampton? After visiting Northampton I agree with the rest of your route, just traveling south on I-91 until you reach Hartford. By then you'll have had enough country rambling!

However, there was nothing wrong with your original second alternative of taking Route 32 east of the Quabbin Reservoir south through Petersham and Hardwick and eventually Stafford Springs, Conn. This is also a scenic country route that keeps you off the interstate nearly the whole way to Hartford.

Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
716 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic drive from Troy,NY?

Wow, great suggestions, quabbin! Old Deerfield looks very nice!

I'me a little puzzeled though by Rt 47. If i'm correct Bay Rd meets up with MA Route 9 just east of the Coolidge Bridge. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

http://goo.gl/maps/tp3bN

Thank you for your help.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
199 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic drive from Troy,NY?

Quite right, lelici49. Bay Road takes you right to Rte 9. I think of it as beginning (or ending) at its junction with Route 47 but I see from Google Maps that it's named Bay Road almost as far as the bridge. So 47 coincides with Bay Road for a stretch but then turns north through Hadley and towards Sunderland. You would continue on Bay Road until the junction with Route 9.

Glad to be of help. I'll get some vicarious pleasure from imagining that drive!

Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
716 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic drive from Troy,NY?

We are planning to stay another day in the Hartford area, because we want to make a daytrip to the east side (Devil's Hopyard State Park, Mystic...not much further east)

Do you have any suggestions on a scenic drive to the DHSP and Mystic and back to Hartford?

Thank you, again!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
199 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Scenic drive from Troy,NY?

I don't have the route in my head as I do your other one but there's a lot to see -- Essex and the Griswold Inn, Old Lyme, which had one of the great art colonies of North America; the charming wooden opera house at Haddam, and Gillette Castle are a few of the attractions in southeastern Connecticut. State Route 169 between Norwich and Woodstock is a designated scenic route and could make for a pleasant ramble through eastern Conn. Maybe others here will know more-- I would elevate your query to the Connecticut forum rather than Hartford only, which doesn't seem very lively.

Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
716 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scenic drive from Troy,NY?

I didn't know of Rt 169, and i planned a daytrip with this scenic route in it. Thank you for your help!!

9. Re: Scenic drive from Troy,NY?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 05:15