We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Hartford safe for a lone female?

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Is Hartford safe for a lone female?

My fiance and I will be in Hartford in early November. He's taking a training course and I am joining him, taking a few days vacation, before we visit family in NY. My fiance is from NY and worried that Hartford might be unsafe for me to spend time in by myself. I am English (we live in the UK) and have a fairly relaxed view of walking to a restauarnt from a hotel in the evening (like we would in San Francisco, Seattle, Boston etc). But all the reports we read on trip advisor make us thing that you dare not venture out without a car! Day or night. We will be staying in either the Hilton or Marriot and I'd plan to wander around (in central downtown) seeing the sights, and maybe walking to a restaurant early evening by myself if he is working late. Just as I would in London, NY or the cities mentioned above.

Truthfully, folks, should I be doing this is Hartford?

Thanks for your help.

P.S. Any views on the Hilton or Marriot?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Hartford safe for a lone female?

Normally I would say yes, but now there are daylight robberies in the West End (the supposedly safe part of the city), and two people attacked near Bushnell Park right in downtown (links to the stories are below). You will probably be fine and crime can happen anywhere, but Hartford continues to be one of the least safe cities in the United States.

I personally would stay at the Goodwin Hotel, nicer, more character hotel.

courant.com/news/…62129.story

courant.com/news/…1185561.story

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Hartford safe for a lone female?

Thank you, Bobby. It confirms what we suspected so I guess vigilance and common sense precautions are required for our trip.

We'll check out the Goodwin too.

Does anyone else have any views too?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Hartford safe for a lone female?

I grew up in Connecticut and lived in Hartford after college. I have travelled extensively, including a lot of Latin America and Eastern Europe, and the only place I was mugged (or attempted) was near my apartment in the West End of the city. The city just has a lot of issues that are not being addressed by a Convention Center or new luxury condos in a downtown where there is not one grocery store or drug store. There are a few vocal Hartford fans on this web site, but I really don't think they know what they are talking about. I was in Hartford this weekend to visit friends and family and it was worse than it ever was. The guy who takes our money for parking tried to pick a fight with me.

All that said, check out the Wadsworth Atheneum, The Capitol Building, and the Mark Twain House. There are some OK restaurants and bars downtown.

Hartford
Destination Expert
for Hartford
Level Contributor
938 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Hartford safe for a lone female?

Either the Hilton or the Marriott is fine. The Hilton has restaurants/bars closer than the Marriott. I thick you'll be fine walking around either during the day or early evening. After midnight might be different. There is an occasional mugging in every city but they are very rare in downtown Hartford. There are several great restaurants within 2 blocks of the Hilton or the Goodwin.

Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Hartford safe for a lone female?

You will be ok walking downtown during the day and early evenings in Hartford. If you are staying at the Hilton you don't need to venture far from downtown as our downtown is very small! Should you be doing this in Hartford? YES...why not? Should you be doing it in New York or Boston? Crime happens EVERYWHERE just not in Hartford. Yes..there was a mugging not long ago but it was right during the midnight hours. If you really take the time and read the NY times or Boston globe..you will read about crimes happening in those two cities. So again...crime happens everywhere. I would recommend to stay in The Hilton as it is right in downtown and you will be surrounded by many restaurants. May I suggest you check hartford.com for things to check out during your visit. WELCOME to Hartford!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Hartford safe for a lone female?

We just came back from a 1 night stay at the Goodwin Hotel and highly recommend it. Besides the room being large and beautiful, the people working at the hotel were the nicest I've ever encountered.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Hartford safe for a lone female?

The top 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the United States. No where do I see New York City or Boston on this list, but there is Hartford 24th out of 369. There are the statistics

OVERALL: (369 cities)

SAFEST 25:

MOST DANGEROUS 25:

Camden, NJ

Detroit, MI

St. Louis, MO

Flint, MI

Richmond, VA

Baltimore, MD

Atlanta, GA

New Orleans, LA

Gary, IN

Birmingham, AL

Richmond, CA

Cleveland, OH

Washington, DC

West Palm Beach, FL

Compton, CA

Memphis, TN

Dayton, OH

San Bernardino, CA

Springfield, MA

Cincinnati, OH

Oakland, CA

Dallas, TX

Newark, NJ

Hartford, CT

Little Rock, AR

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
64 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Hartford safe for a lone female?

This is all preposterous, Hartford is a great and safe city. I am from Hartford and go to school in New York right now (Manhattan College in the Bronx). I have grown up around Hartford and am now going to school in New York and can attest to the fact that Hartford is a great place.

Hartford has a lot going for it. Downtown and neighboring Asylum Hill are home to the Wadsworth Atheneum, Old State House, State Capital & Legislative Office Buillding, Mark Twain House, Harriet Beecher Stowe Center, Butler McCook House, Bushnell Center for the Performing Arts, Hartford Stage, TheaterWorks and Bushnell Park. Thse places have been in the city for years and now there are a variety of publicly and privately funded redevelopment projects happening throughout the city including a the new convention center & hotel, a new 36 story apartment tower, condos & apartments in renovated historic buildings, a community college downtown, renovations to hotels, a new science center and a culinary institute.

If you are staying at the Hilton right in your hotel are Morty & Ming's and Element 315 (both of which opened after the hotel reopened after a complete renovation) and the Goodwin has Pierpont's, America's Cup Bar & Lounge and Bin 228 on the back side. Withing walking distance of these hotels are some of the area's finest restaurants (Max Downtown, Trumbull Kitchen, Hot Tomato's, Spris, Joe Black's, City Steam and Vivo...to name a few) as well as the city's bar & club district (The Brickyard, Pour House, Mad Dawg's, Bourbon Street North, NV, Coach's...to name a few).

There are safety problems in every city. Even in Manhattan....the prime example of an international city...the area that is home to the major corporations, millionares, five star hotels & restaurants and world class shopping...there are still muggings and burglaries in broad daylight...does this keep people from going to Manhattan? No.

Should we not visit every city on the most dangerous list? Should we not visit our nations capital or the city that is home to the French Corrdoir. No

And on a side note there will be a grocery store in downtown Hartford. A local suburban grocer has announced a grocery store will be opening up downtown.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Hartford safe for a lone female?

I never said don't visit Hartford, I said stay at the Goodwin and mentioned the Atheneum and Mark Twain House, but Hartford has many issues one of which is crime which the person should be aware of and take into consideration and they should anywhere. I posted the crime statistics to the person who said that crime can happen just as much in NYC or Boston which that stats show is not true.

I would be happy to debate the issues of Hartford and what should be done, not done and what is being done foolishly and incorrectly, but this is not the forum.

I hope the poster enjoys her trip to the city

Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Hartford safe for a lone female?

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! CtTravler! For bringing the POSITIVE of Hartford and for KEEPING in form of this forum! For FUN! NOT debates! I live and work in Hartford and I have NO plans in changing it any time soon! :)