We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newport to Mystic rte 1 vs 95

Wilmington Delaware
Level Contributor
185 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Newport to Mystic rte 1 vs 95

when leaving Newport has anyone traveled down rte 1 vs taking 95 towards Mystic? I am curious if that is a nicer drive? I would like to drive thru Stonington . It looks like it will take a little longer, but not sure if there is anything I should be aware of when traveling that route (i.e difficulty navigating, excessive traffic, etc)

Look forward to any commments

Englewood, Fl.
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newport to Mystic rte 1 vs 95

It has been a while, but I've travelled Rt. 1 between Mystic and Newport on several occasions.

Rt.1 will of course be much slower than roaring down I-95, but as long as you have the time it is a much more relaxing, scenic drive. Understand that you will be passing through rural countryside and several small towns, with reduced speed limits,traffic lights, and some local traffic, but depending on when you make the trip it can be very enjoyable. It's not at all hard to navigate, and other than maybe holiday weekends,I never found any particular problems using that route. To visit Stonington you will have to leave Rt.1 to go into town, but that is well marked. Be sure and visit the lighthouse museum while you're in Stonington,too.

Mystic, CT
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
2,811 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newport to Mystic rte 1 vs 95

I've done it both ways many times. I actually prefer the Rte 1 drive, it is pretty, and the speed limit is 50mph for most of it, so it takes about the same amount of time. You don't mention when you are traveling - there is a parade this weekend that would seriously impact traffic on Rte 1. I think it's on Sunday, Oct. 12.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
179 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newport to Mystic rte 1 vs 95

I am a big fan of the "scenic route"!! We live in Southern RI and I have also taken that route several times. Keep in mind that there is traffic,traffic lights etc...But there is also lots to see. I think you will enjoy this ride! You could see Wickford,Narragansett,Charlestown,Westerly among other places if you have the time. Not too far off the beaten path.

Wilmington Delaware
Level Contributor
185 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newport to Mystic rte 1 vs 95

Thanks Mysvl and Napa-

We did just return and took rte 1 from Newport to Mystic. There were no delays and it went much faster than expected.

Just had to watch when 1 started to twist, but as long as you stay on rte 1 you are ok.

5. Re: Newport to Mystic rte 1 vs 95

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 02:17