We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kid-friendly restaurant

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Kid-friendly restaurant

My family including my 2 girls (ages 5 & 7) are going to Mystic for one night in early March. We are looking for a casual restaurant with good food. We don't like to dine at restaurants which attract tourists and the food is poor. We also don't want a Applebee's or chain-type restaurant. My girls are usually well-behaved in restaurants but are not food connoisseurs.

Any suggestionsw would be greatly appreciated?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kid-friendly restaurant

We just got back from an overnight to Mystic w/our almost 3 yr old and my parents. On the night we arrived, we were tired and wanted good food that wouldn't take long and we went to S & P Oyster Company http://www.sp-oyster.com/. We did not order for my daughter off the children's menu since she never eats enough to warrent her own dish, we just share. We had 4 cups of NE Clam Chowder and shared two dishes, the S&P Seafood Pasta, 16.99 and the Black Tiger Shrimp w/ pasta 14.50 which are both listed on theire "Lighter Side" menu but were fine to be divided since we had the soup. We liked the atmosphere, kid-friendly but not for kids, on the water, cloth tablecloths w/white butcher paper placed on top and crayons brought over in a big cup. It was right on the water and a good choice. While we were there on a Sun. night around 7, there were at least 3 or 4 families w/school-aged kids and one or two others w/kids my daughter's age. For reference, it is located right next to the bridge and across the street from the Whaler's Inn in the center of town. We waited 20 minutes for table but they do take call aheads which would reduce your wait. Hope this helps.

Mystic, CT
Level Contributor
112 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kid-friendly restaurant

We live in Mystic and have 3 kids. We like The Pizza Grille. It has very good wood-grilled pizza and is on route 27 just north of the Seaport and north of entry to route 95. There is a Sushi place up by the Starbucks by the Hilton and Aquarium that is very good (Peking ?). Also, by the Seaport is the SteakLoft and Go Fish, they are both very good and kid friendly. In downtown Mystic is Margaritas and this is very kids friendly and a fun place. You have a lot of good options - enjoy. S&P is OK but always busy - great for having a drink outside in the summer. Enjoy your stay.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
28 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kid-friendly restaurant

I would take them to Abbotts Lobster. The view is lovely but you'll be eating outdoors on picnic tables. The food is terrific and it has a great Clam Shack ambience. I like to bring a tablecloth, candles and glasses for wine. You'll need to bring your own - this is just a seafood stand.

If that does not appeal to you, Rice Spice Noodles is another spot that my son loves. They make a great dish called Railroad Rice that is served in a half pineapple that would be great for the kids to share - but I would go early because it gets very loud in there later in the evening.

4. Re: Kid-friendly restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 05:23