We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What NOT to miss in mystic?

Alabama
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What NOT to miss in mystic?

My husband and I will be driving up the New England coast mid-October and Mystic will be one of our stops. However, we will only have about half a day there.

Not being from the area, it would be helpful to hear from some of you opinions on what we absolutely cannot miss so it will be easier to decide and plan our itinerary.

Thanks

USA
Level Contributor
177 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What NOT to miss in mystic?

I would reccomend the Aquarium and Olde Mystic village. The Aquarium is great and you can see most of it in a few hours. Olde Mystic Village has a lot of nice old-time shops, general stores, a few restaurants, etc.

Hartford
Destination Expert
for Hartford
Level Contributor
907 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What NOT to miss in mystic?

If you like boats go to Mystic Seaport. They have a great collection of old ships, small boats etc. Even if you don't I still suggest you visit the Seaport gift shop. They have maritime art, books, and other items and you do not have to pay the admission charge. Also drive past the seaport, over the drawbridge and visit the shops on Main street.

Westerly, Rhode...
Level Contributor
614 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What NOT to miss in mystic?

Agree with all of the previous posts in this order -- Mystic Seaport, Aquarium, Olde Mystic Village. The are all next to each other, too.

If you had more time, I'd also suggest a short side trip to Old Mystic (a section of Mystic not to be confused with Olde Mystic Village, which is a shopping area) to visit Clyde's Cider Mill to see them press apples for cider. You'll be here at the perfect time, and on a beautiful sunny fall day, there's nothing that will provide the New England flavor more -- sun filtering through the colored leaves, the air comfortably crisp, the aroma of the cider, and pumpkins and mums all over the place. Gosh, I should write a travel brochure!