We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hartford or New haven?

Which Mystic hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Bethesda
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Hartford or New haven?

Hi_ I will be driving from DC to Boston and I would like to stop in CT since I have never been there and I'm wondering if I should stop in New Heaven or Hartford? I'm wondering which is more scenic? or is a nicer town? I would only be spending a day there.

Thanks!

CT
Level Contributor
149 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hartford or New haven?

When are you traveling? I don't know much about Hartford, however, you can stop in New Haven and do the Yale walking tour which is nice. There are also some other museums if you are into that sort of thing including the British Museum of Art, the Peabody, etc. You can have lunch - there are some great restaurants. If you let me know what type of food you like I can recommend some.

On your way out of New Haven, you can take 95 North and stop in Stony Creek (a small part of the town of Branford). It is on the Long Island Sound and there are some tours you can take around the Thimble Islands if it is nice. It's a beautiful area. http://www.thimbleislandcruise.com

Then you can continue up the shoreline and stop in Guilford if you have time. It's a qunitessential New England town with a pretty green and some shops/eating around it.

Then you can continue on 95 to 395 to 90 and head up to Boston.

New Hartford...
Level Contributor
329 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hartford or New haven?

New Haven is a nicer city but that's just my opinion. It might be because of the university. HOWEVER, if Greenwich, CT, is anywhere near your intended route, I'd stop there without hesitation. It's V E R Y beautiful, loaded with wonderful restaurants and shops, a fabulous park, it's on the coast. So scenic, so lovely.

North Bethesda
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hartford or New haven?

Thanks for the info, I will be traveling in August. How far is Greenwich, ct from new haven?

New Hartford...
Level Contributor
329 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hartford or New haven?

About a one hour drive.

conn
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hartford or New haven?

Greenich is the first town in CT over the NY state line when traveling I-95. It does have a nice upscale shopping area downtown and the Bruce Museum is worth a stop but you should know its not really a " tourist" friendly town nor is any of the states gold coast towns, yes its a lovely part of the state, but its not wear you want to go for your first visit to CT. you want to go east of New Haven on the shore or maybe north to the area along the Mass line.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hartford or New haven?

I agree.. New Haven hands down. There is so much to see and do there. New Haven would be a great place to see with Yale and all the restaurants etc.. but you may want to consider a stop in Mystic CT or Newport RI. These places are must sees..

Your route would not be as direct gpoing this way.. but you would enjoy these places.

Do you plan on stopping overnight or just a stop to check things out.. ? That will help us also direct you.

Sun

North Bethesda
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hartford or New haven?

If I stop in New haven it will be an overnight stay. I'm also considering providence, RI.

Bottom line I would like to stop somewhere between DC and Boston in the new England area, at this point I'm debating if I should stop in CT or Rhode Island. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!!

Enfield, Connecticut
Level Contributor
175 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hartford or New haven?

I know Bethesda, relatives there. Live in NE now. I don't know much about Greenwich but I'd say it would be your half way point. Your choices would be to hug the coast (95) or go inland 84, 91, 90 to Boston. It's hard to suggest somewhere for an overnight. Mystic area may be an interesting stop but its 100 miles up past Greenwich on 95. There's a seaport museum ($ for admittance but the store is free and large enough to browse), boats available to take a ride on, the town of Mystic is a nice walking town with lots of shops and places to eat, and there is a great lobster restaurant in the area. Bring your gps. Somehow I found it but couldn't begin to tell you how to get there.

Hartford is 7-8 hours from Bethesda. Boston another 2 to 2-1/2 from there.

Rhode Island isn't that far from Boston, and pending how long your visit is you could easily make a day trip.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hartford or New haven?

It really depends on what you want to see.

New Haven for Yale... Mystic for Mystic Seaport..

Rhode Island for the beach...

I really like Newport.. alot to do there.

Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
971 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hartford or New haven?

I have driven from DC to northeastern CT many times as I attended college in DC and my hometown is Windham (which is about 2 hours from Boston but you wouldn't go through Windham to get there). From a logistics standpoint, Greenwich or New Haven make the most sense. Newport is quite a bit out of the way, Providence to Boston is about 2 hours providing you do not hit horrendous traffic. So your drive is almost over. New Haven is going to give the most lodging options as well as the most things to do after dark. If you wanted to hit Mystic the following day in the morning you could still spend a few hours there and make it to Boston by early afternoon. Safe travels.