We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in February

Which Mystic hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wilkes-Barre...
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
Things to do in February

My family (which consists of me, my hubby, and 2 kids.. ages 5 and 2) will be in RI for a weekend in February.. for a family event. However.. we will be passing right thru Mystic on our way there and would love some suggestions on things to do or see once we are in the area... things the kids would enjoy, etc. Was looking at the Aquarium.. which is a place we all would love, but is it a good place to visit during this time of the year? Is it all indoors.. or outdoors, etc?? Would it be worth stopping to see? Any info on it would be great!

Any suggestions for anything to do the area or nearby areas that would be fun with young children.. and help to break up a 6 hr drive?!? And especially during this time of the year.. when the outdoors aren't as accessible.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks! ;o)

--CAROLYN

Oakdale, Connecticut
Level Contributor
66 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in February

Just had the grandkids (2 and 4) at xmas time. Took them to Mystic Seaport and Mystic Aquarium. Both have stuff in and outdoors. Kids loved it. There is a Chuck E Cheese's right off the highway in New London. There are scenic lookout stops along 95 as well.

Wilkes-Barre...
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in February

Thanks for your reply. So the Aquarium would be nice to do then.. in your opinion? Is there alot we'd be missing that is outdoors? And is the outdoor part still open if the weather is decent?? Just don't wanna stop and pay for it if we aren't going to be able to see half the stuff there, ya know?

And about how long does it take to get thru without rushing? We'd have a few hours to spare... this will kinda be like a "pitstop" for us. :o)

--CAROLYN

Wilkes-Barre...
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in February

One more thing -- is Mystic Seaport near the Aquarium? Or is it out of the way? What would be there to do? Just shops, etc. Or is there stuff for the kids, etc.?

Oakdale, Connecticut
Level Contributor
66 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in February

Aquarium - yes, the outdoor stuff is available and wonderful so you can go in for a bit if you get cold then come back out. With kids that age a couple of hours is probably all they can take anyway.

Seaport - there are many buildings (shops, houses, etc.) from a 17th century village that you can tour. Museum type displays of various things. At least the Charles W Morgan (whaling ship) is open all the time for a tour. There is a kid's place (can't remember the name). Perfect for the little ones (and indoors and warm). The seaport and aquarium are a mile or two apart. Check their websites for more info. http://www.mysticseaport.org/ and http://www.mysticaquarium.org/

If you only have 3 hours, go with one or the other.

Central NJ
Level Contributor
2,413 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in February

I would reccomend just having lunch in the area and checking out the shops in the shopping center right off the turnpike ( by the Steak loft and visitors center , ect. and then taking a ride to the town of mystic just a mile or so down the road . There are lots of nice stores and photo ops there . The aqaurium is pricey for a winter tour . The whale show is one of the best parts and is outdoors .

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in February

Based on the ages of the children, the Aquarium is a good choice and they have an indoor educational water show too that is about 30 minutes so it good length for small children watching the dolphins in the water. Also on Saturdays/Sundays (not sure of the timeframe you are passing along the shoreline), there is a hands on Children's museum for younger children on Main Street Niantic, exit 74 off I-95.

Rocky Hill, CT
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in February

There is also the Pequot Indian Museum about 7 miles away from Mystic. I'm not sure if the 2 year old would enjoy it but the 5 year old definetly would. If you are anywhere near West Hartford there is a Science Museum that is AWESOME. It is not very exspensive and has a ton to do. My 3 year old brother and 5 year old sister have been to this many times and never get bored. Good Luck!