We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Spacious Hotel for family of 5 Mystic area

Which Mystic hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Good Spacious Hotel for family of 5 Mystic area

We plan to visit Mystic area in August. We are a family of 5. 2 adults and 3 kids under 12. Looking for a hotel that is not too cramped. On a budget, though. Complimentary or cheap breakfast (maybe kids free?) and pool would be great. We like being near the water so we plan spending time along the Rhode Island coastline. I don't know if there are any inns that are family friendly for a decent price.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Monroe
Level Contributor
86 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Spacious Hotel for family of 5 Mystic area

Residence Inn in Mystic and it comes with a free breakfast

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Spacious Hotel for family of 5 Mystic area

Thank you "Funmom". I checked out the Residence Inn. 750SF plus free breakfast and good location- what more can you ask for? Well, if I could only get a price lower than $220 in August (well, you can hope) and then it would be perfect!

By the way, have you stayed at this hotel? If so, what did you like/dislike?

The room for 5 people is a 2 bedroom. We've always stayed in one room before so that sounds reaaally nice!

Well, I guess I'm going to see if I can hunt down a discount.......

Thank you very much.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Spacious Hotel for family of 5 Mystic area

Paradocks

Try calling the hotel directly and ask if there are any discounts available. If you are planning on staying there on a weekend, you are probably out of luck. Maybe better luck midweek. Mystic is a high traffic, high tourist area, no doubt about it.

For those folks who can arrive without reservations and are willing to 'take their chances' you can always visit www.roomsaver.com and print off coupons for hotels in the area. We use these coupons frequently when travelling in the New England area. Granted, you may not always get your first choice, but hopefully something will fit the bill. I realize you may not want to try this with children, but it is something you may want to consider. There are lots of Mystic area hotels that take part in the roomsaver program.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Spacious Hotel for family of 5 Mystic area

Hi K.C.

Thank you for the suggestion about calling the hotel. I did and they gave me a quote of $100 more than the price on their website!

Fortunately, we are traveling during the week so that helps. My husband is a government employee so I tried that discount but it did not give me a cheaper rate, unfortunately.

I have made a couple of reservations at other hotels with cheaper prices but much smaller rooms. The suggestion about Pennysaver may work because these other hotels let you cancel up until 6pm on day of arrival so there will always be a backup.

You're right about Mystic being a high tourist area. But it's a nice drive from where we live and it has a lot of kid friendly activities.

Well, I still have a couple of months to plan.

Thanks again.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Spacious Hotel for family of 5 Mystic area

Well, so much for calling direct and getting a better rate! Oh well, I tried :)

Hopefully you can find something with the coupons. Print off a few for the area and good luck!

upstate NY
Level Contributor
257 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Spacious Hotel for family of 5 Mystic area

I have stayed at Hyatt Place and the rooms are big with 2 queens and large couches. Nice large outdoor pool too.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Spacious Hotel for family of 5 Mystic area

Hi HFDad,

Thank you for the reply! Since the Residence Inn is a little pricey, I'm glad to hear from someone who stayed at the Hyatt.

I've made tentative reservations at the Hyatt and the Hampton Inn - both for very good prices. From the pictures of the Hyatt bedroom, it looks like it would be a lot more spacious for us. The TV sure looks big!

I have just a few concerns. I wonder if you could answer them for me.

1. How was the Continental Breakfast? Was it filling? Did they provide any meat or eggs?

2. Would there be enough seating for 5 at breakfast? From the photos on the website it looks like the seating is limited. We're going the end of August so it will probably be busy.

3. Our room will have two double beds and a sofa bed. We have a king size bed at home (which I love) so double beds sound a little snug. If they are too small for 2 people, would there be room for an air mattress with the sofabed opened out? Or maybe would the sofabed be big enough for adults???

Otherwise, this hotel looks like it would be a great choice in Mystic.

Thank You For Your Time

Best Wishes!

upstate NY
Level Contributor
257 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Spacious Hotel for family of 5 Mystic area

The Hyatt staff were outstanding while we were there. That said, now lets move on to the breakfast. It is your typical free breakfast you find at most good hotels, with a few exceptions.They will ($)cook a hot breakfast for you. Scrambled eggs and bacon was $6.50 as were most other combinations. I did not see anyone order anything as the free breakfast had variety and was plentiful. They had muffins, toast, fresh fruit, juices, cereal, donuts, yogurt.

The room is larger than most rooms I usually stay in, it did have 2 full beds but the sofa was a queen pullout. I could see 5 people saying in this room as long as they were not all large adults. 2 adults and 3 kids would fit fine. The bathroom was small, just the toilet and shower but the vanity/mirror was right outside it.There also was a second sink in a bar area with a small fridge. There was a desk and chair too in the room. A room divider puts some separation between the beds and sofa.

As you enter the front door you will notice the Hyatt is not you typical cookie cutter lobby. They have a kiosk if you want to check yourself in. Also in the same area is a snack bar and small bar if you want a beer or wine.

I think I covered everything, I was impressed by the staff, room size, & 42 in. TV. I would have liked to seen a king bed or 2 queens in the room but would definitly stay there again.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Spacious Hotel for family of 5 Mystic area

Hello HFDad,

Thank you for all the detailed information on the Hyatt. It is a big help since I have never been in a Hyatt Place before.

The hotel looks beautiful and I'm glad they accept 5 people. I'm also glad to hear you would definitly stay there again. Looks like we will be heading to the Hyatt this summer!

Edited: 11 June 2011, 15:20
Stonington, CT
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good Spacious Hotel for family of 5 Mystic area

Another thought, if you're really on a budget, is to consider staying in New London or somewhere else that's 15 minutes or so away from Mystic. New London also has some wonderful restaurants and Ocean Beach Park which is great for kids. It'll likely be more affordable than Mystic itself but still within an easy drive. Reality is that summertime is prime time and many bargains were snapped up months ago.

Good luck!