We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Covered Bridges in CT

Which Mystic hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Covered Bridges in CT

Hi everyone,

I am helping a friend plan their trip to CT, RI & Cape Cod. They would like to see a covered bridge while they are traveling. I did a search and found a couple of them but not sure of their proximity to the Mystic area where they are going to stay for one night. They will be coming from NJ airport via 287 into NY, CT. They only have one night in Mystic so I want to find a bridge that would be nearest to Mystic.

Can anyone give me info on the area where the closest bridge might be located?

Thanks so much.

May

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Covered Bridges in CT

past-inc.org/historic-bridges/covered-comsto…

There don't appear to be many covered bridges in CT, and nothing close by Mystic, unfortunately.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Covered Bridges in CT

The 2 well-known covered bridges in CT are the Bull's Bridge in Kent and the other is the West Cornwall Bridge. I've been to both bridges and they're worth visiting as part of a day-trip to the area. These are both in Northwestern CT while Mystic is in the northeastern part of the state.

Check the following link which includes a covered bridge in the Mystic area. The bridge is closed to vehicular traffic though.

visitconnecticut.com/current_category.2479/c…

The Swamp Meadow Covered Bridge is in Foster, RI, but I don't know much about it.

3. Re: Covered Bridges in CT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 June 2011, 16:05
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Covered Bridges in CT

Thanks for your responses. I am not sure that either one would be doable for my friends as they will only have one day in Mystic, having left NJ in the morning and driving to Mystic. I believe they are planning to visit Mystic Seaport, etc. and then leave the next morning for Newport. Don't think they have the time to visit a bridge.

They are visiting from Ireland and really want to see a covered bridge as they don't have the time to visit NH or VT so I thought that CT might have something for them.

How much out of the way would the Bull's Bridge be?

Thanks again.

May

Connecticut
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Covered Bridges in CT

Driving north from New Jersey, your friends could first visit the Bull's Bridge in CT and then drive on to Mystic. From Kent to Mystic it's about a 2.5 hour drive. But I don't think that leaves them much time to spend in Mystic and in the Seaport.

conn
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Covered Bridges in CT

depending on wear in NJ they leave from Bulls Bridge would be doable its only about 30 minutes or so above I84 they than could do the inland route to the Mystic area( I-84, Rt9, I95) hpoe this makes scence.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Covered Bridges in CT

They are picking up a rental car at the NJ airport, then heading to CT from there. I gave them 2 ways to drive: 1) over Tappan Zee Bridge and onto 95 to Mystic; 2) 95 north, etc. into Mystic.

thesnowman - thanks for your info. Yes, they could do that route. I will pass the info along to them.

I do not think that they are going to have time to do both, unless they are on the road from NJ very early am, then they could take an hour out of the way to view the bridge. They really want to do Mystic so guess they will have to decide what they want to do. If it were my choice, and I wanted to do both, then I would be on the road early, view the bridge and arrive at Mystic (all dependent upon the traffic) early enough to see the Mystic sights. Unfortunately, they only have allowed one day to see everything in Mystic and also Newport one day, then they are heading to Cape Cod for several days.

I will give them the info and they can decide what they want to do. Thanks again to all.

May

Hartford...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Covered Bridges in CT

There is also the Comstock covered bridge in Colchester which is much closer to Mystic and would be a doable side trip. Colchester is about 1 hour + from Mystic. Google covered bridges in CT and you will find it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Covered Bridges in CT

Hi tisch1964,

Thanks for the info. That is precisely the bridge that I mapped out for my friends! I did some further research and thought that this one would be closer to Mystic and more doable w/ the time constraints they have. I mapped out google for them.

I believe they have left Ireland and probably touring as we speak. If they give me a post when they return, I'll let everyone know what they thought. We are only an hour from Mystic and may decide to check out the Comstock bridge on a day trip. Thanks so much to everyone for their input.

10. Re: Covered Bridges in CT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 21:19
Get answers to your questions about Mystic
Recent Conversations