We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pizza

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Pizza

Which is better and why please?

Sally's

Modern

Pepe's

Southern CT
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pizza

Sally's is simply the best...still original owner...no changes...coal-fired oven...original recipes...ambience...family.

Pepe's (uncle of Sally) is franchising (3 locations & growing) and planning to sell out.

Modern pales by comparison to either of the others...just not in the same league.

Lived in New Haven 55 years.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pizza

We go for lunch so sadly Pepe's seems to be the only choice on a Saturday..what do you think? Not worth it??

nkp
new haven ct
Level Contributor
83 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pizza

My Yalie son and his pals liked Modern best. But the truth is you cannot go wrong eating pizza in New Haven. They are all outstanding.

A big chunk of the Amalfi Coast moved to New Hven. Guess they were all bakers.

I remember eating pizza in London years ago--in a bowl! Travelrs come to New Haven to eat the stuff. I try not to do that more than once a year, all those calories and salt, ugh.

The City is full of wonderful restaurants.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
574 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pizza

Personally, I find Pepe's to be very overrated.. don't understand what the all the fuss is about. Long wait time for a table for mediocre pizza

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pizza

I like Modern -

Also Abate and Naples - I think Pepe's has gotten overrated - definitely not worth waiting hours for when there are a million options nearby.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pizza

I would vote for Modern. My father was born and raised in New Haven and he was a Modern person, so maybe I'm biased.

nkp
new haven ct
Level Contributor
83 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pizza

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1821-New_Haven…

I think it's also important not to overlook BAR pizza. Bar was founded by a chef who left either Sally's or Peppe's (I can't remember which).

The key difference which is a bit difficult to describe in writing is the lightness of the pizza. Sally's is extremely light - light cheese, thin crust. I find their pizza to be less flavorful and robust than the others. My personal favorite is Peppe's. They're sort of in the middle - sharp cheese and also thin crust, in my opinion done just right. Bar is very similar - I can't distinguish it from Peppe's from memory. Modern is the heaviest of the bunch. Thicker cheese, more oil, more filling. Modern is a place favored by locals, not because their pizza is necessarily better but because it's just easier to get in. They also have a separate takeout counter so you can get in and out in 15-20 minutes as they make your pizza on the spot. I've waited in line with a friend from out of town, outside, for two hours to get into Sallies on a Saturday night - in February - and still didn't get in. There was a suspicious number of people who were able to get in ahead of the line even though these restaurant all deny that they take reservations. For what it's worth, the people inside Sally's are very nice once you get in.

In addition to Bar, which is an easy walk from campus, there's also Naples and Yorkside, the two other places where Yalies get their pizza. Naples is pretty good - they've had trouble in the past few years getting shut down for serving beer to underage students. But their pizza is good, a close cousin of the others. I find Yorkside's pizza to be wretched. The only reason to go there is because they're open later than everyone else. But if you have a car, or the time to take a long walk, or are willing to pay for a cab, the bottom line is that if you can only eat pizza in New Haven once, got to Peppe's first. If the line is too long, check out Bar. Modern is always good and available. Some people swear by Sally's but it is my least favorite. I like my pizza to taste like cheese and Sally's is just to light for me.

A few more notes about New Haven Pizza:

Don't be afraid to try to classic New Haven white clam pizza (cheese, no red sauce) . Be careful because it has loads of garlic so I wouldn't do it before a business meeting. But it is a delicious regional specialty. My favorite regular pizza is mushroom and olive.

The non-alcoholic drink of choice to accompany your pizza is Foxon Park Birch Beer. Foxon Park is a local soft drink company whose sodas are available at the great New Haven Pizza parlors.

8. Re: Pizza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 21:17
Get answers to your questions about New Haven