We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rough place to be?

Which New Haven hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
121 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
rough place to be?

My family and I are doing a tour of the new england coast this august and had planned to finish with 2 nights in New Haven.

Since we booked a couple of people have told us that New Haven is quite rough and that it is not safe to walk about at night?

Is this true?

We have booked into the Marriott Cortyard by Yale.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rough place to be?

Like any city there are rougher areas but the area around Yale and downtown is absolutely fine.

We go for dinner there and walk around all the time and feel totally safe. You will be fine. You may want to check out the Omni though. The Marriott will cause you to walk a couple of rougher blocks. It is not terrible.. I am sure you will be fine.. but it is not where I would stay.

Omni is in the perfect area.. you can walk out and feel safe right outside your door.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Have fun.

Sun

England
Level Contributor
121 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rough place to be?

thanks very much for replying - that was very useful - I'll see if I can change my hotel

CT
Level Contributor
205 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rough place to be?

Do you have to tour New Haven or can it be another coast city in CT?

I recommend Old Saybrook, Guilford or Mystic over New Haven.

New Haven is not the best city and I wouldn't feel safe walking around at night. The Omni is the nicest hotel in the city but there is nothing around it but bars/clubs.

I would hate to have you base your review of the shoreline off of New Haven!

New Hartford...
Level Contributor
329 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rough place to be?

I tend to agree with jmestyle. Finishing a trip with two nights in New Haven will not leave you with the best impression. Won't you consider another location along the CT shoreline???

England
Level Contributor
121 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rough place to be?

thanks for your advice - I have decided to take it and will now be going to Mystic instead.

thanks again!

New Hartford...
Level Contributor
329 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rough place to be?

Perfect. Here's hoping that you will enjoy every moment of your forthcoming trip to New England. The rate of exchange is certainly in your favor!!!

Oslo
Level Contributor
680 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rough place to be?

The Library (new boutique hotel) is a neat place to stay. The entire area around Yale and the Green is nice and safe. I would not worry...

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: rough place to be?

I go to school at Yale, and while that area is quite safe, there are sections of New Haven that I would not walk through alone, even in the daylight. For a vacation, you'll be much happier with your decision to change to Mystic.

9. Re: rough place to be?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2010, 05:17