We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro North Train to New Haven and bus to Orange - 3Q

Edmonton, Alberta...
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Metro North Train to New Haven and bus to Orange - 3Q

Visiting New Haven in July, taking the train from Grand Central Terminal for pure tourism should we get off at State station and walk or get off at Union Station and take city transit to downtown? Second, would like to shop around Orange (LL Bean, Costco etc.) practical to take city bus from and to downtown? or just skip Orange altogether?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro North Train to New Haven and bus to Orange - 3Q

Do you mean the city of Orange CT? If so, there is really not much there. I would skip it. If you are interested in shopping there are better places but without a car it would be hard to get around. How long will you stay in New Haven?

As for New Haven, take the train to Union Station.. It is not far from downtown. You could even walk if you were up for it. Just take a cab from the train station to where ever you are staying. It's easy and they are all waiting outside the train station.

New Haven is a great town. Enjoy and let me know if you have any other questions.

Edmonton, Alberta...
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro North Train to New Haven and bus to Orange - 3Q

Orange CT. Never been to a LL Bean, maybe Costco for wine-2010 Bordeaux July release? Just at New Haven for the day - no car. Some walking ok (ages 83 ,55, 53,& 15) but transit preferred. Cab from Union station with 4 seems like a good option - cost$? Is there a particular recommended downtown street for shopping?

So far the agenda is Cutler's for records, possibly Frank Pepe's for pizza, and a glimpse of Yale.

conn
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro North Train to New Haven and bus to Orange - 3Q

Our transportation system in Connecticut lacks coverage and coordination. It would be difficult to go to Orange like you want. The walking distances between your destinations may be a little far for a 85 year old.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro North Train to New Haven and bus to Orange - 3Q

Yes, I agree. Take the cab from the train station to downtown. The cost would be minimal, it will be a very short trip. Forget Orange... for wine visit The Wine Thief in New Haven. http://www.thewinethief.com/ There are alot of little shops and things to look at downtown all around the Yale area which is the same area where you will find Cutlers and the wine store is not far.

Yale offers free walking tours if you are there at the right time. http://www.yale.edu/visitor/tours.html

The architecture is really something. Make sure as you are walking to look up at the buildings. You will see interesting statues and things.

You will find alot to look at and see in New Haven. Pepe's is a good option for lunch but I would take a cab from downtown to Pepe's as it is too far to walk. It's not far but too far for you to walk. The cab cost would be minimal. Expect a wait for lunch... or plan to get there early..

Have fun!

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metro North Train to New Haven and bus to Orange - 3Q

Orange does have some interesting shops. I know because I ran a business there for many years.

It is not considered a PRIME shopping area--but Millions of people go there every year for the "CHRISTMAS TREE SHOP" ! On Route 1.

There are also several National Chain Restaurants in that same area: International House of Pancakes . The Olive Garden and several Italian , Mexican and American places. Ice Cream....and coffee houses as well.

From Orange--your not too far from the Milford Mall which has a Movie Theatre and a DICKS Sporting Goods Store ..along with Macys , Sears and many other smaller places.

Even further South is a BOBS Store which offers some well priced shoes and clothing for the family.

There is a bus that runs along this area of the POST ROAD ....but the times and stop offs may leave much to be desired.....I would consider this area to be better off visited with your own AUTO ---so that you could come and go as you pleased..and not be wasting a lot of time waiting for buses or missing buses etc.

Also you would have hard time walking between the malls and smaller shopping centers.

Edmonton, Alberta...
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Metro North Train to New Haven and bus to Orange - 3Q

Thanks all for the tips, info and suggestions. Unfortunately, from what I can tell from the internet - Cutlers was closed in 2012. Orange CT in the proposed trip seems more like a car rental than an inconsistent bus trip from New Haven. Given the parameters - I had figured New Haven to be an interesting day side trip from NYC in comparison to Washington D.C., Boston, Tarrytown etc. I still think it is a no-brainer and will hope to provide a favourable CDN report later.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Metro North Train to New Haven and bus to Orange - 3Q

New Haven would definitely be a good day trip. There is enough interesting things to do there to keep you busy. You will enjoy it.

Boston and Washington DC are probably more interesting but given the short travel time you have and the fact you have only a day to spend you should stick with New Haven. You would need an additional day at least for Boston more for DC probably.

If you stick to walking around Yale and doing some shopping as well as a stop at Pepe's you will have a full day. :) Let me know if you have any other questions.

Edited: 19 June 2013, 03:47
Edmonton, Alberta...
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Metro North Train to New Haven and bus to Orange - 3Q

Update to trip request. Thanks again all for your suggestions. Took the Metro North train to New Haven from NYC Grand Central Terminal. Off peak fares and times were very reasonable. Interesting train ride to New Haven going through a mixture of industrial/commercial repurposes and failures of yesteryear and residential views. Definitely more interesting than the Amtrak ride to Washington D.C. we took last year.

Arrived at Union Station in New Haven and took the free CT shuttle bus to the downtown. On first impression, the downtown square looked a bit sketchy when we arrived. So we asked at the transit kiosk about how to get to Orange CT and he directed us to an O-2 bus across the street. Made a quick decision to check out the shopping on Boston Post Road. While the bus fare was cheap $1.30 regular fare and .65 for seniors, the bus was leaking pools of water from the cooling units onto at least 20 of the seats. Winding our way through New Haven we got to see sites and people that would be missed by conventional trips.

We made it to Costco on Boston Post road and then walked down to the LL Bean outlet. As expected the wine prices in Costco were extremely reasonable compared to NYC and we had never been to a LL Bean store before. Our brief exposure to Boston Post Road shopping was that it was definitely too car- oriented but glad we picked this jaunt rather than some factory outlet adventure from NYC. To get back to downtown New Haven we somehow managed to get the same flawed bus with rainforest interior.

Would have checked out more of the downtown shops if hadn't been raining. From what we could see downtown New Haven was a mixture of ancient old and not so new, seedy and trendy and other assorted sociological sites. As the rain let up, we walked up Chapel street a couple of blocks and found ourselves at old Yale campus. Walking around old Yale was truly impressive and we could see the student guide enthusiasm permeate the multitude of visitors in the quad area. With the colleges and buildings it reminded us of Hogwarts and the various houses like Slytherin & Gryffindor in the Harry Potter films. A quick stop at the Yale bookstore for some branded souvenirs before we walked back to the downtown location to get the shuttle back to Union station. It was late afternoon and we decided that a side-trip for Pepe's pizza was beyond the scope and energy of our New Haven project... which we found to be a really enjoyable side trip from New York city.

conn
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Metro North Train to New Haven and bus to Orange - 3Q

Wow, great report. I thought the side trip to Orange wasn't doable. You proved me wrong. Thanks!

Edited: 17 July 2013, 00:01
Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Metro North Train to New Haven and bus to Orange - 3Q

Glad it worked out so well for you!

Get answers to your questions about New Haven