We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for local information

Which New Haven hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
214 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for local information

Hi, I am coming to Boston and surrounding area in April. I will have a car. I am planning to cover the following areas (time dependant): Boston MA, Rhode Island, Hartford CT, New Haven, Buffalow/Niagra, then MAYBE Montreal.

I am after some suggestions of things to do and not to do. I am open to all ideas as I have no preconceved ideas so will consider anything.

All info greatly recieved, and also if there are any other places that you reccomend while I am on my travels.

Many thanks for your time.

Fairfield County...
Level Contributor
28 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for local information

Hi Kelly,

What are your interests? Do you like history. art, culture? Are you interested in outdoor activities? The New England area has lots to offer, but it really depends upon your interests and the amount of time your have available.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for local information

Hi, thanks for your post. I have been deliberetly vague about my interests so as to not limit my options with regard to what people suggest, as i have found that by doing it this way i may do things that i would usually just rule out. As an example, i am not a fan of museums, but someone on Trip Advisor suggested one to me last year which i greatly enjoyed, but if i had said that i dont really like museums then they wouldnt of suggested it and i would of missed out ! I will be in the US for 2 weeks. I do like to walk, and scenery etc, taking photos, although im not too sure what the weather will be like.

Fairfield County...
Level Contributor
28 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for local information

Hi Kelly,

Your itinerary is REALLY ambitious for two weeks and would require a lot of driving, making it hard to see much in any of your proposed destinations. You might want to narrow it down a bit and focus on New England this trip. (Besides, Buffalo and Montreal likely will still be very cold and snowy).

Boston alone is worth 3 days and you'll want to give yourself time to spend a couple of days in each of the other cities.

I'm not a "local expert" on Boston (and I'm sure you'll receive other replies), but here are my suggestions for interesting things to do and see in Connecticut, Rhode Island and western Massachusetts.

CONNECTICUT: My favorite spots are:

Mystic seaport: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g33845-d10…

Mystic aquarium: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g33845-d10…

Pequot Museum: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g33831-d10…

Essex steam train: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g33778-d28…

Goodspeed Opera House: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g33764-d52…

Gillette Castle: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g33764-d10…

Yale University – one of the oldest universities in the U.S.: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g33851-d10…

Long Wharf Theatre: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g33851-d10…

Hartford's Wadsworth Atheneum – oldest art museum in U.S.: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g33804-d10…

IN RHODE ISLAND:

Providence

Roger Williams Park and Zoo: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60946-d10…

Culinary Arts Museum: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60946-d27…

Newport: The elaborate mansions here were the summer homes of the New York elite at the beginning of the 20th century. There are many from which to choose, but the highlights are the Breakers and the Marble House, built by two of the famed Vanderbilts trying to outdo each other.

The Breakers: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60978-d10…

Marble House tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60978-d10…

If you are a tennis buff, you’ll enjoy The International Tennis Hall of Fame: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60978-d25…

Also, here are a few suggestions for MASSACHUSETTS (outside of the Boston area):

April will be too cold to enjoy the Cape Cod beaches, but you might consider:

Sturbridge

Old Sturbridge Village is a living history museum of 18th century New England living: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g41854-d10…

Springfield

Dr. Seuss Garden: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60968-d27… (at the Museum of Fine Arts: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60968-d103006-Reviews-Springfield_Museum_of_Fine_Arts-Springfield_Massachusetts.html)

Hope these suggestions are helpful!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for local information

Wow, thanks everso much for that, i will look into that more at the weekend. My itinery is only rough, but my last 3 USA holidays have been around 2500 miles in about 16 days, including doing route 66, i manage to pack quite a lot in, its not everyones holiday choice but i really like to be busy. I have a tendancy to revisit places again when i have liked them, and fit them into another holiday.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for local information

test

6. Re: Looking for local information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2015, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about New Haven