We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible move to Norwalk, CT area

Which Norwalk hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hamilton, Virginia
3 posts
Save Topic
Possible move to Norwalk, CT area

Good day all. I have a F2F interview next Thursday. If all goes well I maybe offered the position in which case I'll need to find an abode around the Norwalk, CT area.From Northern VA I would be moving with my college age daughter so I'd like a fairly quiet and safe area. Driving or commuting distance would be my second concern.. Without knowing my salary my living preference would be a 2BR-2BA small house/cottage, town-home or apartment with w/d. At least two car off road parking as well. Any other suggestions would be taken with open opinion.

9 replies to this topic
Hamilton, Virginia
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible move to Norwalk, CT area

Sorry forgot to mention I want to start off by renting or rent to own. Thinking it might be around $1000 - $1400 monthly

conn
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible move to Norwalk, CT area

1000-1400 will get you a 1br cold water flat. (Sarcasm) Norwalk (Fairfield County) is high rent district, my best guess is a halfway decent 2br place would be 1600-1800. Before you make your final decision on a move you should check with some local real estate agents on rental cost. Hope your salary is going to be in the mid to high six figures, cost of living here is high.

Hamilton, Virginia
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible move to Norwalk, CT area

I intend to check with real estate agents but am doing my due diligence of covering bases outside of the hungry agents as well. If needed how about a suggestion a little further out?

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,846 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible move to Norwalk, CT area

Mid-six figures is half a million. That's a bit of an exaggeration.

There are a variety of online sties for looking at available apartments (without rental agent fees). It will give you some notion of prices in that area. They are much higher than your budget. Just google Norwalk Apartment rental. For instance:

http://www.apartments.com/Connecticut/Norwalk

apartmentguide.com/apartments/…

Also look at CraigsList http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/hhh/ Some of these apartments will be legit rentals by owner. Some will not be legit. Exercise caution, but use it as a "reality check" for your budget.

conn
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible move to Norwalk, CT area

My mistake, meant mid to high 100,000's. Many people commute to the Norwalk area, which cause daily traffic problems on the two main commuter highways (I-95 and RT15). I like the above posters suggestions for checking out rents.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible move to Norwalk, CT area

You won't get any place suitable for human for your budget.

Most decent apartment complexes will run you anywhere from $1700+...average is closer to $1900/month...for a 2 bed/bath place.

I would agree that you will have a tough time making ends meet unless you're pulling in at least $90,000/yr. CT is not a cheap place to live, and all of the towns (safe enough to live in, that is) near Norwalk are also very pricey and upscale. You might want to expand your search a bit north of Norwalk, into such towns as WIlton, Weston, Easton, or possibly Trumbull.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
335 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible move to Norwalk, CT area

I you are willing to commute by train you can look into Danbury, CT area. While still not cheap, there are more houses, townhouses apartments to rent in this area. The News Times is the local Danbury paper and might be a good place to start to looking at prices.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Possible move to Norwalk, CT area

I live very near to Danbury (just over the border in NYS) and Danbury is a lovely, mostly residential area with LOTS of commuters/families in it. Rents are definitely A LOT cheaper than you'll find in Norwalk or near the shore. Metro North trains run between Danbury and Norwalk. It takes about 1 hour to get from Danbury to Norwalk if you're driving and the traffic isn't bad.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Possible move to Norwalk, CT area

Forget about Wilton , Easton or Weston as well....they are well beyond Virginias housing scale.

The Danbury Commute may work for you.....but the truth is that unless your coming in as a hig executive or CEO---you will not be finding housing in Norwalk or the surrounding towns.

This is the Gold Coast and its called that for a reason.

Almost ALL the working folks commute into town for their working day---exactly like Virginia to DC...and the situations are similar.

Some of the outer towns have cheaper rentals but poor schools..not good for kids that want to get the best.

Some towns like Stratford have better schools in the North End of town.

Trumbull has great schools but your still not getting in for less than $1200 to $1400 and above for anything and most much more....also this place is rather isolated and depending how you want your kids to interact with others --you may want to try for a more citylike sort of place with things that are going on like theatre and lots of public functions and that have their own hospitals, colleges and such.

Fairfield is a very nice town --rich in culture and a good variety of peoples--its own railway station and many , many nice shops and businesses to visit. It is also going to be $1500 minimum--but here the schools and the culture surrounding you is very very strong.

FYI............................

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/hhh/

Reply to: Possible move to Norwalk, CT area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted